"Ravenstein" Ravenstein by OlafS
Ravenstein Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 35 photos
Such a small town, so easy to ignore. And yet, such a treasure! Ravenstein's history is special, because until 1794 it was the capital of an autonomous region which from 1396 until 1609 was in posession of the dukes of Kleve (Germany). When this family dies out a war is started over the succesion of its rights. The elector of Brandenburg gains Ravenstein but from 1610 until 1630 the town is temporarily handed over to the Republic as a pledge for a big loan. The protestants demolish one of the two churches and use the other one themselves. In 1630 Ravenstein gets a new master, the catholic duke of Palts-Neuburg who restores religious freedom. Five years later the Republic once again occupies Ravenstein. In 1647 Ravenstein's autonomy is finally recognized. Its territory becomes a catholic enclave in an area that was ruled by protestants otherwise. The garrison flees for advancing French troops in 1672.
In 1794 France occupied the town and in 1800 sells it to the Batavian Republic. In 1815 the entire region becomes part of the newly formed province of Noord-Brabant. The government of the Netherlands makes it clear to Ravenstein that it lost its autonomy forever by demolishing the castle up to its foundations.
On this page I want to show you some of the most important sights in Ravenstein itself, as well as some in the surrounding villages.
Ravenstein's autonomy made it one of only a few areas in the Netherlands were Roman Catholicism was not prohibited. The... more travel advice
Another village that used to be part of the Land van Ravenstein is Dennenburg, where you'' find this old church,... more travel advice
OlafS's Related Pages
Ravenstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nice old town on the river Maas!"
- "Ravenstein, a pictoresk little fortresstown"
- "A little fortified town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ravenstein
- 10 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Ravenstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ravenstein
Photos in RavensteinSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 56 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 38 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Limburg Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Leuven Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Maastricht Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tilburg Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provincie Noord-Brabant Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos