"'s-Heerenberg" 's-Heerenberg by OlafS

's-Heerenberg Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 28 photos

The pearl of De Liemers

This is cool; it seems I'm only the second VT-member to build a page about 's- Heerenberg. This must mean that very few people know it. I can forgive them; until recently I didn't know it either. But I'm glad I know it now. Even though my visit was a short one this town made quite an impression on me. The best treasures are still the hidden ones!

Some places should never change. 's-Heerenberg is one. It may be a small place, but these are often the nicest. It can rank among some other small jewels in the province of Gelderland, places like Zaltbommel, Buren and Harderwijk. I prefer these small gems over the big cities of this province, Arnhem and Nijmegen. There's less to see perhaps, but there's more atmosphere.

The surrounding area seems interesting too, so I'm already planning a long cycling tour here this Summer. I don't know much about this area, De Liemers as it is called, but I think I want to discover some more.

Here's how we ended up in this place. My wife bought a little rat a while ago. Then she read that rats should be kept in pairs. So we bought another one. A week later we discovered that that rat had been pregnant, as that morning we found 12 little ones in a neatly prepared nest. Fourteen rats, both males and females. Even though we found a new home for most of them, we needed another cage to keep both sexes apart. We had learned our lesson! We found one second-hand and cheap on the internet. Only we had to collect it in 's-Heerenberg. I knew little about that town, except that it had a castle. Just to make sure I took the camera with me. So there we went, from Belgium to a place far away, in the Netherlands. We even crossed German territory so that day we had been in three countries. Wow. 's-Heerenberg turned out to be a lovely old town. A nice place to visit, even if you don't have rats.

• Intro Updated Feb 13, 2004

• Dec 18, 2007 at 7:46 AM

After the Jesuits left, the house was occupied by the White Fathers, Witte Paters, from 1927-57. The students were from many nations and several hundred later became missionaries in Africa.

• egonwegh's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2004 at 11:12 AM

Haha, Olaf S. alias "de Rattenvanger" - nou ja, in ieder geval heeft het nog een aantal mooie foto's opgeleverd ...!

OlafS

“Get lost (and discover!)”

Badges & Stats in 's-Heerenberg

Have you been to 's-Heerenberg?

Latest Activity in 's-Heerenberg