"Vianen" Vianen by OlafS

Vianen Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 11 photos

More than traffic jams

Vianen is one of those relatively unknown little treasures that The Netherlands has so many of. To most people it is perhaps best known from the traffic warnings on the radio, when cars on the nearby highway have come to a stand still once again.
It was during such a traffic jam that I took a look at the town in the distance. I liked what I saw, a small town with a skyline that suggested that the 20th century had not caused any major damage. An old gate, two churches and a Gothic town hall were all clearly visible. There was also a watertower that I didn't like but the rest looked quite attractive to me. I had to see it from nearby. And I did, recently, as part of a long bicycle trip. Because my time was limited, I had to return the rented bike in time, I had to rush my visit to this little town. Therefore this page is not an in-depth review of the place, but more of a short introduction. My tips do not give a complete image of the town, but perhaps they can give you some idea. At the time it is the only page about the town on VT anyway.

Vianen isn't a spectacular place by any standards. None of its sights will ever feature in the UNESCO World Heritage list. The strength of this town however is the compact and total beauty of the old centre. It's the whole that counts, and people who like old places with a touch of history and an atmosphere that is still largely unspoilt by masstourism cannot go wrong with Vianen. A real off-the-beaten-path type of place. There are several of those nearby. When you've seen enough of Vianen and have a car at your disposal you can easily go to either Leerdam, Ijsselstein or Culemborg for more historic beauty.

Vianen, being the unknown beauty that she is, is likely not mentioned in travelguides. If it is mentioned it is likely to be listed in the wrong province. Until 2002 Vianen belonged to the province of Zuid-Holland but now it's part of the province of Utrecht. A longtime wish come true.

• In a nutshell:Nice place to spend a few hours
  • Intro Updated Sep 9, 2004

Comments

OlafS

“Get lost (and discover!)”

Badges & Stats in Vianen