"Provincie Groningen" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Groningen by OlafS

Provincie Groningen Travel Guide: 883 reviews and 2,577 photos

Only one true city, the rest of the province is mostly filled with villages and lots of agricultural land. Compared to most other provinces in The Netherlands the province of Groningen is relatively uninhabited. Besides the city of Groningen for me the main attraction of this province are the many old village churches, which often represent regional architectural styles or variants of styles. My favourites are listed under Must see activities. I visited some of these church on one day in 2002, and the others on another day in 2003. Next year I hope to spend another day in this province and add more to this list. What struck me was that several of these churches were left open, with no one there to guard them. People here obviously are very honest and they trust others to be so too. I'm afraid one day a person with bad intentions will enter such a church, and I dare not think of what might happen!
Anyway, if you're interested in this sort of thing I'd recommend you to take a tour by car or bicycle. Public transport won't get you very far.

• Last visit to Provincie Groningen: Dec 2001
  • Intro Updated Oct 8, 2003

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 7:51 AM

good advice to suggest a bike, it seems many churches are changing their policies on people taking phographs in their churches even in Italy

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2003 at 11:26 AM

Wow, great to see this page with all these churches! Not a lot of people go to this part of the country! I used to live in Loppersum, and it's great to see all your pictures. I only have pictures of a few of them myself. Thanks! :-)

• nighthawk's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2003 at 4:44 AM

u did all this in one day...wow...great page so far! haha this 'empty' province doesn t attrack many foreigners :-), and those who do visit sure will be noticed by the locals

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2003 at 12:19 PM

A lot of very interesting info and very nice pics!

OlafS

“Get lost (and discover!)”

Badges & Stats in Provincie Groningen

Have you been to Provincie Groningen?

Latest Activity in Provincie Groningen