"Limburg" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Limburg by OlafS
Provincie Limburg Travel Guide: 1,998 reviews and 5,149 photos
Limburg is my favourite province in The Netherlands. Why? Because it's so diverse. The northern part looks very familiar to some other parts of the country, but the further you go south the more Limburg becomes something different, almost exotic. Definitely very different from what I'm used to in the rest of The Netherlands. Of course there are many very different regions in the Netherlands, but the south of Limburg is the only one I have been to that makes me feel like I'm in a totally different country. That's it; Limburg doesn't only look different than what I'm used to, it feels different too!
When I was a child my parents took me and my brother to a place called Simpelveld for a week. It was an experience I would never forget. We stayed in a small bungalow on top of a hill. It must have been a true mountain to me back then, as I recall that the village appeared to be deep down below to me. Coming from the flat lands of the Betuwe area, this made a big impression. We also visited Valkenburg and Vaals and some other places in the south of the province. In 2003, some 25 year later, I returned to Simpelveld. this time with my wife and foster daughter. And once again I fell in love with this part of my country, even though that hill wasn't as high as I remembered it was.
The history of Limburg is so complicated that it takes a brain the size of a planet not only to write a good book about it, but also to understand that book. How come you can find places with French names lying next to places with German names? Why do these places have such names in the first place? Or even: why do places with such names belong to The Netherlands? It's a mystery to me but isn't it fascinating? Oh, and why are there so many castles? Why are some of these called 'chateau'? And why do international borders run right through cities and villages? Questions, questions, questions. I'll look up the answers ASAP. If I can be bothered, that is. Perhaps I shouldn't spoil the mystery to begin with. One thing is for sure; this region is at a crossroads of cultures.
Limburg has a few wonderful cities. Maastricht, Roermond, Sittard, all very nice. Further up north is Venlo, which isn't bad either. This page however is especially about the villages that are too small for pages of their own but that I like to mention anyway. Oh, and please forgive me my obsession for churches, Limburg just has some of the best in the Netherlands!
- In a nutshell:Yes!!!!!!!
A church, a few old farmhouses, that's about it as far as the sights of this village are concerned. I like it, but you... more travel advice
This village east of Maastricht has little to offer to the average tourist. I happen to find the church very... more travel advice
Written Jul 23, 2003
Other places in the province of Limburg
Written Apr 2, 2004
Of farms and castles
OlafS's Related Pages
Provincie Limburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Limburg, live the good life"
- "Limburg - the most beautiful part of NL"
- "Limburg pictures"
- "Other places in the province of Limburg"
- "Limburg, the Netherlands"
- "Provincie Limburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Limburg
- Hotels in Provincie Limburg
- Transportation in Provincie Limburg
- Nightlife in Provincie Limburg
- Restaurants in Provincie Limburg
- Shopping in Provincie Limburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Limburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincie Limburg
- 92 Reviews
- 118 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Provincie Limburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Limburg
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 56 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 38 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Limburg Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Leuven Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Maastricht Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tilburg Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provincie Noord-Brabant Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos