"Limburg" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Limburg by OlafS

Provincie Limburg Travel Guide: 2,001 reviews and 5,159 photos

The nearest faraway place

Limburg is my favourite province in The Netherlands. Why? Because it's so diverse. The northern part looks very familiar to some other parts of the country, but the further you go south the more Limburg becomes something different, almost exotic. Definitely very different from what I'm used to in the rest of The Netherlands. Of course there are many very different regions in the Netherlands, but the south of Limburg is the only one I have been to that makes me feel like I'm in a totally different country. That's it; Limburg doesn't only look different than what I'm used to, it feels different too!

When I was a child my parents took me and my brother to a place called Simpelveld for a week. It was an experience I would never forget. We stayed in a small bungalow on top of a hill. It must have been a true mountain to me back then, as I recall that the village appeared to be deep down below to me. Coming from the flat lands of the Betuwe area, this made a big impression. We also visited Valkenburg and Vaals and some other places in the south of the province. In 2003, some 25 year later, I returned to Simpelveld. this time with my wife and foster daughter. And once again I fell in love with this part of my country, even though that hill wasn't as high as I remembered it was.

The history of Limburg is so complicated that it takes a brain the size of a planet not only to write a good book about it, but also to understand that book. How come you can find places with French names lying next to places with German names? Why do these places have such names in the first place? Or even: why do places with such names belong to The Netherlands? It's a mystery to me but isn't it fascinating? Oh, and why are there so many castles? Why are some of these called 'chateau'? And why do international borders run right through cities and villages? Questions, questions, questions. I'll look up the answers ASAP. If I can be bothered, that is. Perhaps I shouldn't spoil the mystery to begin with. One thing is for sure; this region is at a crossroads of cultures.

Limburg has a few wonderful cities. Maastricht, Roermond, Sittard, all very nice. Further up north is Venlo, which isn't bad either. This page however is especially about the villages that are too small for pages of their own but that I like to mention anyway. Oh, and please forgive me my obsession for churches, Limburg just has some of the best in the Netherlands!

• Pros:Yes!
  • Cons:No!
  • In a nutshell:Yes!!!!!!!
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2004

• Mar 15, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Eugenie d'Ansembourg, a felow student invited me over to visit the Kasteel many many years ago to get the tour one afternoon. I couldn't find the secret room and she told me how the conquerers were able to, and ... from the outside... Can you guess how?

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2005 at 2:08 AM

Very nice pics and tips!! Maybe Wittem is worth a stop! -- Greg

• AliNZ's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2004 at 5:46 PM

Thanks Olaf, I will be in Limburg in December 2004 and looking forward to the sights. Thanks for your photos and comments.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2004 at 7:27 AM

Top description on history and cultural highlights of the Province Limburg. Greets

• May 15, 2004 at 3:00 AM

Hello Olaf :) I was wondering if you had any other photos of Simpelveld, particularly the main part of town with the high-steepled church. If so, please email me at ronanfanatic21@yahoo.com.au. Thanks!

• Tatie's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2003 at 2:58 AM

Nice pages Olaf!!! I come from Limburg, Belgium and we too have funny accents...;-)

• Jul 22, 2003 at 6:31 AM

Excellant coverage of the place....nice information..

• ingridf_nl's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2003 at 4:43 AM

Very nice! :) I have only travelled a little in Limburg, but will now definitely go back and explore some more! Thanks

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2003 at 9:24 AM

I didn't know there are so many great places in Limburg. Great page and pics

• truus_s's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2003 at 3:48 AM

Heel erg mooi!!IMooie fotos ..In veel plaatsjes ben ik wel eens geweest!!Maar fietsen..is erg leuk maar het gaat niet overal even gemakkelijk!!

OlafS

“Get lost (and discover!)”

Badges & Stats in Provincie Limburg

Have you been to Provincie Limburg?

Latest Activity in Provincie Limburg