"OlafS's Dresden Page (1995)" Dresden by OlafS
Dresden Travel Guide: 1,350 reviews and 4,054 photos
The view at Dresden has been the inspiration for many famous and not so famous painters. Although an attractive sight, this is actually about everything that was left of Dresden's historical center after the bomb-attack in 1945, which destroyed one of the world's most impressive cities, but did not shorten the war for even a minute. Historians now generally agree that the bombing was unnecessary. Another view is that it was an act of pure evil as well, aimed at destroying the city's beauty and killing as many as possible of the tens of thousands of refugees packed in the streets of the undefended city, just to make sure they would never return to those parts of Germany that the Allies had promised to Poland and the Soviet Union. Crimes like this are always unexcusable, no matter who commits it and no matter who is the victim (get that, mr. B*?). What's the point of saying "but they started it first"? Why needlessly destroy such beauty that was a delight to people all over the world? Only a truly primitive mind can posibly believe that this is a just punishment. The people of Dresden have learned from history and have formed a partnership with Coventry, which was the victim of a similar bombing earlier in the war.
After the war the communists demolished much of the ruins in the center, many of which could have been repaired. Undamaged buildings vanished too. A church was demolished for no better reason than that some big communist cheese wanted to park his car at that specific spot. Much of the old Dresden was replaced by a typically communist city, with wide, windy streets and tall, uniform buildings.
(*Mr. B. is a VT-member who responded to an earlier version of this page in a rather backward manner. As he stated, he "would have leveled all of Germany" if he had had the chance. Mr. B. actually believes that you can act that way and still be one of "the good guys". I disagree; fighting evil never entitles you to act in a similar way as the evil you're fighting against.)
OlafS's Related Pages
Dresden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Dresden"
- "WONDERFUL DRESDEN!"
- "Still Beautiful Elegance"
- "Back to the Future: From Rubble to Baroque Beauty"
- "Dresden in 1995"
- "Opera and Cycling in Dresden"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dresden
- Hotels in Dresden
- Transportation in Dresden
- Nightlife in Dresden
- Restaurants in Dresden
- Shopping in Dresden
- Warnings and Dangers in Dresden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dresden
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Dresden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dresden
Photos in DresdenSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 56 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 38 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Limburg Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Leuven Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Maastricht Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tilburg Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provincie Noord-Brabant Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos