"Otavalo - get your souvenirs!" Otavalo by jujub
Otavalo Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 407 photos
Otavalo was a great one-stop-shop for souvenirs and of course, gifts for yourself! This Saturday market sells almost everything that you could imagine, and the prices are very very good. You should bargain a bit, and if you buy in bulk, you'll have better chances of getting more discount. You should shop around, many of the vendors sell the same (or similar) goods -- don't be tempted to buy as soon as you spot a vendor!
Otavalo is a 2-hour bus ride from Quito -- ask at your hotel which bus terminal you should go to (if i remember correctly, it's the Terminal Terrestre), hop on a cab, and the driver will tell you which bus you should take (the cab will drop you off outside of the terminal, where you will hop on the bus from the sidewalk). Please do this only during the day time, at night, ask the driver to drop you off inside the Terminal.
I highly recommend buying sandals there -- i bought 2 pairs of these beautifully detailed, hand made sandals, which are extremely comfortable and very unique. They weren't as cheap as I expected, but extremely worth it; of course I now wish i had bought more of them. :)
You should definitely spend the whole day here (unless you're not the shopping type).
Enjoy the page!!
You can buy a delicious flavored shaved ice cone from this guy -- he shaves the ice manually, no electronic appliance!
This is a local woman minding her business -- I really liked the way she looked...
Getting to and from Otavalo is fairly simple, you can do it yourself. Take the bus from the Terminal Terrestre (confirm... more travel advice
jujub's Related Pages
Otavalo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saturday Market in Otavalo"
- "To market, to market ..."
- "Market day in Otavalo"
- "Otavalo Indigenous Market"
- "Otavalo Market"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Otavalo
- Hotels in Otavalo
- Transportation in Otavalo
- Restaurants in Otavalo
- Shopping in Otavalo
- Warnings and Dangers in Otavalo
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kampong Sungai Gelugor Hotels
- Mirigama Hotels
- Province of Negros Oriental
- Campamento Guavate Hotels
- El Yunque National Forest Hotels
- Manassas Hotels
- Excelsior Springs
- Winter Park Hotels
- Chelyabinskaya Oblast'
- Rincon de Guayabitos
- Cape May
Badges & Stats in Otavalo
- 4 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Otavalo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Otavalo
Photos in OtavaloSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 27 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bocas del Toro Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Vienna Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- San Ignacio Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Province of Quebec Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Seoul Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Lao Chai Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Petrified Forest National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos