"Laguna Quilotoa" Laguna Quilotoa by jujub
Laguna Quilotoa Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 415 photos
We stayed in the city of Latacunga, given to the proximity to Quilotoa and Cotopaxi volcano. We were originally going to go to Cotopaxi, but there was a park strike, and since the most interesting part of Cotopaxi was not going to be accessible, we decided to go on a day trip to Laguna Quilotoa.
We booked the day trip with the people from Hotel Cotopaxi in Latacunga -- i believe we paid $30 or $35 per person. Included in the day trip was: transportation in a 4x4 jeep, guide/driver, and lunch. The lunch sucked, it consisted of bologna sandwiches with mayo, a sports drink, chips, cookies and soup --the soup was good, it was provided by the lodge in front of the lake. The guide buys the soup at the lodge, so we can sit down and have that pre-packaged lunch on their premises. I think lunch could have been improved a bit -- bologna? yuck...
After we finished eating, we went on to the lake -- you need to be in shape for this hike to the bottom and back up. Bring water, and layer your clothes lightly -- once you reach the bottom you'll be sweaty and hot, and even though that water looks tempting for a dip, it's not recommended due to the concentrated minerals and other stuff in the water.
On your way up, if you cannot take one more step, ask the guide or one of your buddies to make their way to the top and hire a mule to come and get you ($4). There is no shame in having your ass saved by a half-ass. :)
It is also possible to visit Quilotoa on your own, but you'll have to rely on public buses. If you plan at staying at a hotel nearby the lake, inquire about the bus schedule with them.
We were just relaxing and resting at the bottom, when it was time to trek our way back. We would always glance back,... more travel advice
At the bottom, you'll see some "beaches," where I wished I had brought my bathing suit with me. :) more travel advice
jujub's Related Pages
Laguna Quilotoa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keep me in the Quilotoa Loop"
- "Quilotoa and Laguna Quilotoa"
- "The emerald mirror"
- "Beautiful, but cold"
- "Laguna Quilotoa"
- "Laguna Quilotoa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Laguna Quilotoa
- Hotels in Laguna Quilotoa
- Transportation in Laguna Quilotoa
- Nightlife in Laguna Quilotoa
- Restaurants in Laguna Quilotoa
- Shopping in Laguna Quilotoa
- Warnings and Dangers in Laguna Quilotoa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Laguna Quilotoa
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Laguna Quilotoa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laguna Quilotoa
Photos in Laguna QuilotoaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 27 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bocas del Toro Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Vienna Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- San Ignacio Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Province of Quebec Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Seoul Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Lao Chai Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Petrified Forest National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos