"Great Keppel Island" Great Keppel Island by Jez79
Great Keppel Island Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 80 photos
Located about 8.5 hours north of Brisbane on the central Queensland coast is Great Keppel Island. GKI is a superbly beautiful place, with good facilities, stunning beaches, excellent hiking and great water sports. The island is easily accessable by ferry from Rosslyyn Bay, a short detour from the Bruce Highway en route to North Queensland or Brisbane (onr anywhere in between!).
Despite it's convenience, GKI maintains a sleepy island feel (except at the Contiki resort), and is great for a relaxing holiday away. Those that choose to stay at the Contiki resort (for 18-35s) tend to have a bit more action, but the island somehow manages to cater for all types without loosing its character.
Most of the infrastructure on the island is centred around Fisherman's and Putney beach, with the rest of the island largely bushland and secluded beaches, with reasonably well maintained tracks allowing easy access.
Accommodation on the island caters to all budgets and includes tents, dorms, cabins, private houses and the resort. There is limited shops, so if you not staying at the Contiki resort it's advisable to bring most of your food. There is a good pizza place and a nice restaurant at Keppel Haven, a couple of bars, and a nightclub at Contiki (sometimes closed to non resort patrons).
Activities include anything from lazing on the beach, snorkelling, kayaking and hiking, to sky diving, jet skiing and parasailing. Do as little or as much as you like, but make sure you get away from the main area and experience true Australian island bushland. Very impressive indeed!!!
- In a nutshell:An Island paradise
If you're looking to get away from the main beaches on Great Keppel, a good choice is to walk around to Svensen's beach,... more travel advice
Great Keppel Island is beautiful all year around, but is a particularly good choice in summer because it is free of the... more travel advice
Jez79's Related Pages
Great Keppel Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capricorn Coast - Part 1"
- " Great Keppel Island - December 2005 "
- "affordable island paradise"
- "Great keppel Island"
- "Mangroves & Camels"
- "Beautiful Great Keppel Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Great Keppel Island
- Hotels in Great Keppel Island
- Transportation in Great Keppel Island
- Nightlife in Great Keppel Island
- Restaurants in Great Keppel Island
- Shopping in Great Keppel Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Great Keppel Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Great Keppel Island
- 8 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Great Keppel Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Keppel Island
Photos in Great Keppel IslandSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 9 reviews, 92 photos, 6 travelogues
- Gold Coast Intro, 20 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Fiji Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 38 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Great Keppel Island Intro, 8 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 15 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ayuthaya Intro, 9 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 10 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 1 review, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues