"Iasi - culture and poverity" Top 5 Page for this destination Iasi by kek4la
Iasi Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 175 photos
This city, full of moldavian taste and pride, was hit hard by poverty in the comunist times.Still, the cultural life is very active, and people here know what fun is.
It is situated in the North-East of Romania, also the North-East of the Moldavia region, which is called in Romania Moldava.
It's on a hilly area, therefore one can find great scenery over here.
Used to be the capital of Moldava in medieval times, also the first capital of the Romanian United Principalities, along with Bucharest(for the first years romanians had two capital cities).
Many great romanian writers lived here:
Mihai Eminescu - Romania's ever greatest poet;
Ion Creanga - Great popular narrator;
Vasile Alecsandri - Poet and play writer;
Mihai Sadoveanu - Novelist, great narrative talent
and the list goes on.
Actually, in the 19th century, Iasi was the cultural center for romanians.
But the comunists came and industrialized the city, got a lot of people from the countryside in there for working force and built many quarters of flats.
In the 80's the situation was nearly unbearable.
Then came the revolution and a lot of people became unemployed(not that the factories were working well before that!).
So it's a city of many poor people, still it has a dignity due to its great place in romanian history.
This road cuts through the very center of Iasi. It starts in front of the Culture Palace and ends in Union Square. It's... more travel advice
Situated south of the city, it offers great views. The picture on my starting page about Iasi is taken here. This... more travel advice
kek4la's Related Pages
Iasi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful city of Iasi"
- "Iasi - culture and poverity"
- "Visit to Iasi"
- "La Revedere Moldova... Buna Romania!"
- "To matza's new Iasi Page"
- "Greetings from IASI!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iasi
- Hotels in Iasi
- Transportation in Iasi
- Restaurants in Iasi
- Shopping in Iasi
- Warnings and Dangers in Iasi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iasi
- 12 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Iasi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iasi
Photos in IasiSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Bucharest Intro, 31 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iasi Intro, 12 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Focsani Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Braila Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brasov Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cambridge Intro, 2 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 2 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.