Spain Shopping Tips by Beach_dog Top 5 Page for this destination
Spain Shopping: 57 reviews and 53 photos
Game on sale at my local supermarket.
Carnicerias normally sell the the whole of range of meats.
Baby suckling pig and lamb are typical dishes in Central Spain (Castilla), often roasted on a wood oven.
Game is plentiful (as the photograph at my local supermarket shows) outside the summer months, and rabbit is available year round.
The Charcuterias can be found occassionally, but were much more popular in the past. They sold pork products, cold meats and cheeses. A great favourite of mine is Jamon Serrano, the dry cured mountain ham. Spicy sausages (chorizo) are popular, and are sliced and eaten raw.
Carniceria - Butchers
Charcuteria - Selling pork, ham and sausage. (Old term)
What to buy: Carne de Cerdo - Pork
Carne de Ternera - Veal or Beef
Carne de Vaca - Beef
Carne de Cordero - Lamb
Pollo - Chicken
Huevos - Eggs
Cochinillo - Suckling Pig
Cordero - Baby Lamb
Caza - Game
Toro/Carne de Lidia - Bulls killed during bullfights.
Fiambres - Cold Meats
Queso - Cheese
Jamon Serrano - Cured Ham
Jamon de York - Processed Ham
Beicon - Bacon (normally streaky)
Chorizo - Spicy Paprika Sausage
Morcilla - Black pudding (Blood Pudding), often with nuts added, or in 'Mocilla de Burgos' with rice (Arroz).
Theme: Food and Drink
Ronda Post Office
Post offices are located in every town, look out for 'Correos' or 'Correos Telegrafos'.
What to pay:
Postcards ( Tarjetas )
International - Europe...............€0.51
International - Rest of World....€0.76
Letters ( Cartas )
The same rates as above for letters of less than 20 grams. For 20 to 50 grams, the rates below apply...
International - Europe.................€1.16
International - Rest of World... ..€1.63
Above 50 grams additional charges will apply.
For Urgent letters additional charges apply.
Full tables of cost calculations can be found at the website below.
Stamps are often sold in Tabacco shops also.
Euro notes and coins.
What to pay: The money as in most of the EEC is the Euro.
Denominations of the notes are €5, €10, €20, €50, €100, €200 and €500, they are the same in all countries.
Coins have national features on one side, these are... €1 and €2 showing the face of King Juan Carlos I, 10, 20, and 50 Centimos showing the face of Cervantes, and the 1, 2, and 5 Centimos showing the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela.
€1 is approximately equal to $1 or 0.66 British pounds
Seafood at my local supermarket.
The Spanish are great fish eaters and fish is often found in their diet. It is not just popular in the coastal areas, where the fishing fleets are based (Galicia and Andalucia), but inland also. Inland fish is generally sold frozen, but fresh fish is delivered daily to the larger cities and Madrid.
The price of fish and seafoods has risen in recent years, as in most countries due to poor catches brought about by decreasing EEC quotas and competition.
Shops specialising in seafoods are called Pescaderias.
Theme: Food and Drink
El Corte Inglés, Madrid at Christmas.
Its seems whatever you need in Spain you can get it here. A national chain that has branches in just about every city. I?ve used them in Madrid, Valencia, Marbella and Puerto Banus.
I recommend visiting during the Sales in January, discounts of up to 50% on designer names.
Theme: Department Store
More Reviews (73)
- See All Roman Spain
- Follow the Scallop Shells - Camino de...
- See All Medina Azahàra - Andalucia
- See All Navidad (Christmas) part 2
- See All Typical Spanish meals
Beach_dog's Related Pages
Spain Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Viva Espana!"
- "The Clock Does Not "Rule" in Spain"
- "More than this..."
- "Bienvenido a Espana - Welcome to Spain."
- "VT meeting in Madrid"
- "A Method to the MAD(ness)......and the players!"
- "CASTLES OF SPAIN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Spain
- Hotels in Spain
- Transportation in Spain
- Nightlife in Spain
- Restaurants in Spain
- Shopping in Spain
- Warnings and Dangers in Spain
- See All...
Explore the World
- Yemen Hotels
- Altamonte Springs Hotels
- Broken Hill Hotels
- Muizen Hotels
Badges & Stats in Spain
- 595 Reviews
- 1,428 Photos
- 473 Forum posts
- 44 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Spain?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spain
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 78 reviews, 114 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 47 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 29 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 26 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 22 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
Top Spain hotels
- Barcelona Hotels
- 9441 Reviews - 21469 Photos
- Benidorm Hotels
- 439 Reviews - 762 Photos
- Palma de Mallorca Hotels
- 733 Reviews - 1874 Photos
- Torremolinos Hotels
- 436 Reviews - 1576 Photos
- Salou Hotels
- 165 Reviews - 294 Photos
- Madrid Hotels
- 5306 Reviews - 10727 Photos
- Benalmádena Hotels
- 141 Reviews - 395 Photos
- Playa Blanca Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 119 Photos
- Adeje Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Marbella Hotels
- 567 Reviews - 2059 Photos
- Málaga Hotels
- 837 Reviews - 2097 Photos
- Lloret de Mar Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 311 Photos
- Sevilla Hotels
- 2207 Reviews - 5567 Photos
- Alicante Hotels
- 481 Reviews - 1057 Photos
- Alcudia Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 113 Photos