"The Ancient Stannery Town of Lostwithiel" Lostwithiel by Beach_dog

Lostwithiel Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 25 photos

My Visit.

In December 2002 I paid a brief visit to the town of Lostwithiel. Twenty years ago I had lived there for about 15 months, while working on construction at the local Creamery. Revisiting Lostwithiel after so many years brought back a flood of fond memories of my time there.

I met in a Dairy near the Duchy Palace my 'milkman' from that period. He told me that many of my friends from that period still live there, but some had left. I will plan a longer visit soon to see if I can catch up with my old friends.

The Towns History.

The town was founded by the Normans 800 years ago, situated on the banks of the River Fowey, it became a port for exporting tin to France and the Mediterranean. The Normans built 'Restormal Castle' overlooking the town to control the area.

In the 13th. century, it was further developed by the Earls of Cornwall into the Counties capital. It became an adminastrative center for the County of Cornwall, and the main place of export of tin. Further construction took place, notably the Duchy Palace, much of which is still visible today.

The town declined over the next few centuries, but re-entered history during the Civil War in 1642, when the Royalist forces besieged the town and drove out the Parliamentary troops. The town suffered from this, with many of its buildings damaged.

Today Lostwithiel is a quiet town, visited during the summer months by tourists and offering interesting walks around its small streets.

• Last visit to Lostwithiel: Dec 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2002

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2004 at 9:04 AM

Nice photos of this very scenic looking little spot. My wife and I stopped there by chance on our recent trip to Cornwall, but I never realized that we had missed out on so much!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2003 at 8:53 PM

Quite some history. Nice to revisit and I love that accomm you initially had there.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2002 at 2:03 AM

A lovely village! lots of memories there form your 20´s???, isn´t it?

Beach_dog

“To view my nude passport picture, hold down 'ALT' and press 'F4'.”

Badges & Stats in Lostwithiel

Have you been to Lostwithiel?

Latest Activity in Lostwithiel