"The Ancient Stannery Town of Lostwithiel" Lostwithiel by Beach_dog
Lostwithiel Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 25 photos
In December 2002 I paid a brief visit to the town of Lostwithiel. Twenty years ago I had lived there for about 15 months, while working on construction at the local Creamery. Revisiting Lostwithiel after so many years brought back a flood of fond memories of my time there.
I met in a Dairy near the Duchy Palace my 'milkman' from that period. He told me that many of my friends from that period still live there, but some had left. I will plan a longer visit soon to see if I can catch up with my old friends.
The town was founded by the Normans 800 years ago, situated on the banks of the River Fowey, it became a port for exporting tin to France and the Mediterranean. The Normans built 'Restormal Castle' overlooking the town to control the area.
In the 13th. century, it was further developed by the Earls of Cornwall into the Counties capital. It became an adminastrative center for the County of Cornwall, and the main place of export of tin. Further construction took place, notably the Duchy Palace, much of which is still visible today.
The town declined over the next few centuries, but re-entered history during the Civil War in 1642, when the Royalist forces besieged the town and drove out the Parliamentary troops. The town suffered from this, with many of its buildings damaged.
Today Lostwithiel is a quiet town, visited during the summer months by tourists and offering interesting walks around its small streets.
A fascinating bridge and probably one of the oldest in Cornwall. It dates from the 13th Century and replaced an earlier... more travel advice
Although never a Palace, it was originally the Great or Stannery hall. It was the adminastrative building for the County... more travel advice
Beach_dog's Related Pages
Lostwithiel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Ancient Stannery Town of Lostwithiel"
- "Restormel Castle"
- "A few hours visit"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lostwithiel
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Lostwithiel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lostwithiel
Photos in LostwithielSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Spain Intro, 78 reviews, 114 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 47 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 29 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 26 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 22 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues