"Historic City of Almeria" Top 5 Page for this destination Almería by Beach_dog
Almería Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 328 photos
Almeria is a fairly modern city and port in the east of Andalucia. The city is dominated by the Alcazaba, built in the 11th century when Almeria was an independent kingdom, and one of the most commercially active and weathiest districts in Spain. The citadel once housed a palace, immence gardens and some 20,000 people. Once it was reputed to rival Granada in grandeur, but time has taken its toll on the Alcazada, the last of the stuccowork was supposedly sold off by locals in the 18th. century. From the Alcazaba's hilltop location, good views of the coast are visible.
Another point of interest is the cities fortified cathedral, which was built in the 16th century when this coast was plagued by Turkish and Barbary pirates. Its corner towers once housed cannons for the defence of the populace that ran here for security during the raids.
Twenty kilometers north of Almeria, you will find Los Millares, a 4000 year old settlement, protected by strong walls.
- Pros:Lots of history, off the normal tourist route.
- Cons:Beaches locally not great but travel a few miles to Cabo de Gata, for some of Spain´s best.
One of my favourite activities in Spain, sitting at an outdoor cafe drinking coffee and eating pastiles (pastries),... more travel advice
Part of the Alcazba fortifications, substantial parts or the city wall remain. Originally it would have surrounded the... more travel advice
Beach_dog's Related Pages
Almería Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Back in august 2002"
- "Desert and delightlful coast!"
- "Historic City of Almeria"
- "Lisalu's new Almeria Page"
- "Almeria the not so crowded costa!!"
- "Wild beaches and a desert in Spain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Almería
- Hotels in Almería
- Transportation in Almería
- Nightlife in Almería
- Restaurants in Almería
- Warnings and Dangers in Almería
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Almería
- 9 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Almería?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Almería
Photos in AlmeríaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Spain Intro, 78 reviews, 114 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 47 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 29 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 26 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 22 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues