"Beach_dogs Antequera Page" Antequera by Beach_dog
Antequera Travel Guide: 162 reviews and 424 photos
I was so surprised by this city, it offered so much of interest, and seems to be forgotten by the mass tourism further south. Historically it dates back to the Beaker civilisation of about 4000 to 5000 years ago, and has since been occupied by the Romans, the Goths and Arab civisations before being recaptured by the Christians in 1410. It then saw its Golden age with construction of the many churches, convents and monasteries seen here today. Much of the cities finest Architecture dates from the Renaissance and Baroque periods, the Palace of Nájera (now the cities municipal museum) which houses Spains best example of Roman sculptor the ´Efebo´ along with some fine art and religious artifacts.
One of Europes biggest and most important prehistoric sites. Located just outside the city. They date from the time of the Beaker peoples who occupied most of western Europe 4000 to 5000 years ago. Three large Dolmens remain intact today and are easily visited with free entrance.
Located 16 KM outside the city is the spectacular Karst landscape of El Torcal, a large area on top of a limestone plateau and designated a Natural Park. Routes have been set out for visitors wanting to walk the area, ranging from 2 to 6 hours in duration. The limestone formations etched by thousands of years of weather are a spectacular sight, dont forget the camera.
El Torcal is a Natural Park near Antequera, if you visit the area try to see it. Limestone rock formations and stunning... more travel advice
The town and valley are overlooked by an enormous crag of limestone, 880 metres high, called La Peña de los Enamorados,... more travel advice
Beach_dog's Related Pages
Antequera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antequera - En el Corazon de Andalucia"
- "ANTEQUERA 'THE HEART OF ANDALUCIA'"
- "Beautiful Antequera"
- "Antequera and beautiful Torcal Nature park"
- "Antequera (Malaga) The City of Art"
- "Beach_dogs Antequera Page"
- "Antequera, still undiscovered by mass tourism"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antequera
- Hotels in Antequera
- Transportation in Antequera
- Nightlife in Antequera
- Restaurants in Antequera
- Shopping in Antequera
- Warnings and Dangers in Antequera
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antequera
- 10 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Antequera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antequera
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 78 reviews, 114 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 47 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 29 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 26 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 22 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Antequera hotel reviews
- Las Villas De Antikaria
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Antequera Golf
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Hospederia Colon Antequera
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 25, 2013
- Casa Del Conde De Pinofiel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Finca Eslava
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013
- Castilla Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 8, 2013