"Magnificent Cathedral, Historic Hero and Early Man" Burgos by Beach_dog
Burgos Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 669 photos
Burgos, a city I had long wanted to visit. I had been told how spectacular the gothic cathedral was and I was not disappointed. You may notice the number of travelogues of photos I have below just dedicated to the cathedral, the stonecarving is incredible and considering its age in a remarkable state of preservation.
Burgos is also famed as the birthplace of a historical Spanish hero, El Cid Campeador (yes, the guy played by Charton Heston in the Hollywood movie). The crusading knight who fought many battles against the moors, at that period occupying much of the south and central Spain. After his death in 1099 at Valencia, his body was brought back to Burgos for burial and his grave can be seen in the cathedral.
The city straddles the River Arlanzón, with its old medieval center on the western bank. This is the interesting area with the cathedral, hilltop castle and other historic landmarks. The city was founded in the 9th century by the Moors, but was reconquered by the Christians from the north in 1035 when it became the capital of the Kingdom of Castile and Leon, a title it held until 1560, when the capital was moved to Madrid. Construction of its cathedral began in 1221 and continued until completion in 1567.
In 1994 two scientists discovered bone fragments at Gran Dolina cave near Atapuerca, in the mountains outside Burgos. They were estimated to be 780,000 years old, making it the earliest homanid site so far known in Europe. I have not visited the site yet, but hope to do so in the near future.
A 800 km route across the north of Spain, running from France to Santiago de Compostella in Galicia. It was the route... more travel advice
Built in the style of a medievel castle, elements for its design have been heavily influenced by other castles from the... more travel advice
Beach_dog's Related Pages
Burgos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Burgos is the birthplace of Spanish Glory!"
- "BURGOS BIRTHPLACE OF CASTILE."
- "Burgos: where Mío Cid still lives and fights"
- "CAPUT CASTELLAE"
- "Magnificent Cathedral, Historic Hero and Early Man"
- "Burgos Province where my family comes from"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burgos
- Hotels in Burgos
- Transportation in Burgos
- Nightlife in Burgos
- Restaurants in Burgos
- Warnings and Dangers in Burgos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burgos
- 12 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Burgos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burgos
- updated a Burgos Travel Page "Magnificent Cathedral, Historic Hero and Early Man"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Dear Hotsauce...."
- Commented on one of Carmela71's Burgos travel pages
- Wrote a Review Camino de Santiago - The way of St. James about Inside Burgos in Burgos Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Camino de Santiago - The way of St. James"
Photos in BurgosSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Spain Intro, 78 reviews, 114 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 47 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 29 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 26 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 22 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues