"Magnificent Cathedral, Historic Hero and Early Man" Top 5 Page for this destination Burgos by Beach_dog

Burgos Travel Guide: 161 reviews and 663 photos

Burgos, a city I had long wanted to visit. I had been told how spectacular the gothic cathedral was and I was not disappointed. You may notice the number of travelogues of photos I have below just dedicated to the cathedral, the stonecarving is incredible and considering its age in a remarkable state of preservation.

Burgos is also famed as the birthplace of a historical Spanish hero, El Cid Campeador (yes, the guy played by Charton Heston in the Hollywood movie). The crusading knight who fought many battles against the moors, at that period occupying much of the south and central Spain. After his death in 1099 at Valencia, his body was brought back to Burgos for burial and his grave can be seen in the cathedral.

The city straddles the River Arlanzón, with its old medieval center on the western bank. This is the interesting area with the cathedral, hilltop castle and other historic landmarks. The city was founded in the 9th century by the Moors, but was reconquered by the Christians from the north in 1035 when it became the capital of the Kingdom of Castile and Leon, a title it held until 1560, when the capital was moved to Madrid. Construction of its cathedral began in 1221 and continued until completion in 1567.

In 1994 two scientists discovered bone fragments at Gran Dolina cave near Atapuerca, in the mountains outside Burgos. They were estimated to be 780,000 years old, making it the earliest homanid site so far known in Europe. I have not visited the site yet, but hope to do so in the near future.

• Last visit to Burgos: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 10, 2004

• doug48's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2007 at 8:09 AM

i am planning to visit burgos in a couple of weeks, great page, very helpful, thanks, doug48

• MrBill's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2005 at 1:36 AM

I thorougly enjoyed your pages on Burgos, they are clearly a notch above other pages on this city. I had never heard of it until I drove through it. Thanks for your photos and comments to remind me again of this city. Bill.

• Moorsey's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2004 at 1:45 PM

Always gadding about Stace. I wil be going north again soon, love those patatas bravas.

• diageva's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2004 at 1:23 PM

Me encantan los gargoyles :)) vaya ... cada dia mejor con tu camara nueva :)))

• Dec 11, 2004 at 9:20 AM

I spotted Charlton! Let me know when this page is finished because I've never been to Burgos, but it looks good from your photos!

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 11:54 PM

I told you ..... The most impressive cathedral :-)

Beach_dog

“To view my nude passport picture, hold down 'ALT' and press 'F4'.”

Badges & Stats in Burgos