" Don Quixote´s Windmills. " Consuegra by Beach_dog

Consuegra Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 148 photos

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

CHAPTER VIII - OF THE GOOD FORTUNE WHICH THE VALIANT DON QUIXOTE HAD IN THE TERRIBLE AND UNDREAMT–OF ADVENTURE OF THE WINDMILLS, WITH OTHER OCCURRENCES WORTHY TO BE FITLY RECORDED.

At this point they came in sight of thirty forty windmills that there are on plain, and as soon as Don Quixote saw them he said to his squire, "Fortune is arranging matters for us better than we could have shaped our desires ourselves, for look there, friend Sancho Panza, where thirty or more monstrous giants present themselves, all of whom I mean to engage in battle and slay, and with whose spoils we shall begin to make our fortunes; for this is righteous warfare, and it is God's good service to sweep so evil a breed from off the face of the earth."

"What giants?" said Sancho Panza.

"Those thou seest there," answered his master, "with the long arms, and some have them nearly two leagues long."

"Look, your worship," said Sancho; "what we see there are not giants but windmills, and what seem to be their arms are the sails that turned by the wind make the millstone go."

"It is easy to see," replied Don Quixote, "that thou art not used to this business of adventures; those are giants; and if thou art afraid, away with thee out of this and betake thyself to prayer while I engage them in fierce and unequal combat."

My Visit....

So run the words of Don Quixote's Adventures.... a book I first read when I was about 11 years old. The story of a misguided country gentleman who decided to set off in search of adventure with his servant Sancho Panza.

While on a drive down through Spain, I realised I had time to visit the windmills at Consuegra. Consuegra is on the 'Routa de Don Quixote', the route he supposedly took on his wanderings through the region of La Mancha, and the windmills are reputed to be those he attacked in the story. No time wasted, myself and Carmela71 turned off the N-4, after a few kilometers we approched the town of Consuegra.

Through the town we followed the signs, I expected to have to park up and take a long walk up the hill, but to my surprise the road went straight up the side of the small mountain. Above us towered the castle, and as we reached the top we saw the line of windmills, dotted along the crest of the hill.

The story continues....

So saying, he gave the spur to his steed Rocinante, heedless of the cries his squire Sancho sent after him, warning him that most certainly they were windmills and not giants he was going to attack. He, however, was so positive they were giants that he neither heard the cries of Sancho, nor perceived, near as he was, what they were, but made at them shouting, "Fly not, cowards and vile beings, for a single knight attacks you."

A slight breeze at this moment sprang up, and the great sails began to move, seeing which Don Quixote exclaimed, "Though ye flourish more arms than the giant Briareus, ye have to reckon with me."

So saying, and commending himself with all his heart to his lady Dulcinea, imploring her to support him in such a peril, with lance in rest and covered by his buckler, he charged at Rocinante's fullest gallop and fell upon the first mill that stood in front of him; but as he drove his lance–point into the sail the wind whirled it round with such force that it shivered the lance to pieces, sweeping with it horse and rider, who went rolling over on the plain, in a sorry condition. Sancho hastened to his assistance as fast as his ass could go, and when he came up found him unable to move, with such a shock had Rocinante fallen with him.

"God bless me!" said Sancho, "did I not tell your worship to mind what you were about, for they were only windmills? and no one could have made any mistake about it but one who had something of the same kind in his head."

"Hush, friend Sancho," replied Don Quixote, "the fortunes of war more than any other are liable to frequent fluctuations; and moreover I think, and it is the truth, that that same sage Friston who carried off my study and books, has turned these giants into mills in order to rob me of the glory of vanquishing them, such is the enmity he bears me; but in the end his wicked arts will avail but little against my good sword."

• Last visit to Consuegra: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 8, 2003

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2007 at 9:49 AM

Great photos and see you enjoyed your visit like i did but would be great to read some info too!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 8:35 AM

great pics!

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2004 at 8:10 AM

A great page with beautiufl pictures of town and windmills!.I went to this part of Castilla-La Mancha long time ago.Hope you have lots of fun at VT meeting!!!

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2003 at 12:20 PM

Yessssss!!!!! ;-))) But how come you didn't "dance barefoot between the windmills" like Dulcinea, Stace?

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2003 at 5:03 AM

En un lugar de la mancha ..... Where is rocinante? lol

Beach_dog

“To view my nude passport picture, hold down 'ALT' and press 'F4'.”

Badges & Stats in Consuegra

Have you been to Consuegra?

Latest Activity in Consuegra