"Beach_dogs Cabo de Gata Page" Top 5 Page for this destination El Cabo de Gata by Beach_dog
El Cabo de Gata Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 162 photos
A stark and beautiful landscape in the east of Almeria province comprises Cabo de Gata National Park. Sierra de Cabo de Gata, meets the azure waters of the Mediterranean, forming some spectacular landscapes, sheer mountains dip their toes into the warm waters, pristine sandy beaches are strung between the capes and cliffs, low white 'suger cube' houses form the few small villages. Inland the dry arid mountains (it is the driest spot in Europe), formed the settings for many of the Spaghetti Westerns of the 1960's. Although not undiscovered Cabo de Gata is enough off the beaten track to retain its quiet undisturbed atmosphere, with the exception of Easter, July and August when more beach activity is seen.
The western side of this promontory is straight and flat, with a sandy beach stretching most of its lenth, the south and east more rugged, but still have many beaches and the scenery is impressive.
I only managed a daytrip here, but it was enough time to fall for the charms of its extreme and beautiful landscapes. A trip by car from Almerimar an hours drive to the west. I managed to cover the tip of the promontary and inland through the hills, visiting the beaches of 'Playa de Monsul', 'Playa de Genoveses' and 'Los Esculols'. The town of 'San Jose' and the village of 'El Pozo de Los Frailes'. More time would have been needed to see much more, but the impressions I got from this short trip were enought to capture my imagination. Another trip is required preferably with a stay in the area to fully explore the region, which I'm certain will hold many more surprises for me.
The beaches I visited were so beautiful, the mountains awesome and the scenery as a whole totally stunning.
El Pozo de Los Frailes - A village with quaint Aqua Molino, a donkey powered well for lifting water from the depths.
San Jose - Small town and the only place I saw any touristic development. Small white low level holiday apartments and weekend homes surrounding the older town center. Stopped here for breakfast and much needed drink.
Playa de Monsul - Scenic sandy beach, had a quick swim in the sea, the August heat was really picking up.
Playa de Genoveses - Passed this beach, it looked very good.
Los Escullos - Tiny village with hotel, hostel and camping ground. I walked the rocky coastline to the old fort, stopped at the hostel for a much needed coke and then spent an hour relaxing on the excellent beach. Another swim to cool off.
The scenery in the park was interesting, the rugged coast, the arid mountains, the dune backed sandy beaches. I was told that the beaches were very busy as it was August, but to me they seemed quiet in comparison with the normal resorts along the Costa del Sol. Little surprises waited around every corner, deserted villages used in the movies, tumbledown windmills and coastal forts. Craggy coastal rock formations.
- Pros:Unbelievable scenery and beaches.
- Cons:Avoid August heat.
- In a nutshell:A Jewel set within the Crown of Andalucia.
I visited two great beaches here, Playa de Monsul and Los Escullos. Both had great sand, great views and the water was... more travel advice
I saw these 'Aloe' plants all over El Cabo de Gata, in the desert, on the hills, even in gardens. The plant itself is a... more travel advice
Written Sep 11, 2002
Photographic Scenes 1
Written Sep 11, 2002
Beach_dog's Related Pages
El Cabo de Gata Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An amazingly beautiful part of Spain"
- "Parque Natural de Gata y Nijar"
- "The incredible Monsul (near Cado de Gata)"
- "Beach_dogs Cabo de Gata Page"
- "Cabo de Gata"
- "El Cabo de Gata"
- "Cabo de Gata"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Cabo de Gata
- Hotels in El Cabo de Gata
- Transportation in El Cabo de Gata
- Restaurants in El Cabo de Gata
- Warnings and Dangers in El Cabo de Gata
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Cabo de Gata
- 6 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to El Cabo de Gata?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Cabo de Gata
Photos in El Cabo de GataSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 78 reviews, 114 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 47 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 29 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 26 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 22 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues