Granada Things to Do Tips by Beach_dog
Granada Things to Do: 958 reviews and 1,720 photos
Patio at the town hall.
The terrace at the Ajuntiamento (Town Hall), you can look into the patio to see its garden and plants.
The old Arabic Marketplace located near the Cathedral. Interesing small shops selling everything at tourist prices.
Its a great place to be relieved of your unwanted wallets, cameras and mobile phones, pickpockets operate in the area, keep your valuables closely guarded.
Dont let this put you off visiting this nice district, just be careful and vigilant.
Another cathedral view. When in the area of the cathedral you will often be approached by Gypsy fortune tellers. They give you a sprig of Rosemary, if you accept they tell you your fortune, unless you speak Spanish you wont understand a word, then they expect you to hand them some money. The best approach is to refuse the Rosemary or drop it on the floor, or just tell them you are not interested. They will normally leave you alone after that.
Carlos V Palace
Part of the Alhambra you can visit freely without tickets. An interesting building but not on par with the other palaces.
It was built from 1533, necessitating some destruction to the Nasrid palaces and cemeteries. Its formal Renaissance style contrasts some much from the other Palaces at the site.
Calderias - Arabic shopping area
Two streets between Calle Elvira and the Plaza Nueva. Its possible to think you may have fallen asleep and awoken in Morocco. Arabic shops, Tea rooms and Kebab stalls predominate here.
Built on the site of a former Mosque, the cathedral took an incredibly long time it took to build. Work on the cathedral began on 15th March 1523 and it was not completed until 1704, 180 years later. Building stopped during the plague.
To the side of the Cathedral you will find the Capila Real (the Royal Chapel), built between 1505 and 1521. It houses the graves of both Queen Isabel and King Fernando. Buried alongside them are King Felipe (known as Felipe the Good Looking) and Queen Juana (known more commonly as Juana la Loca - Juana the Mad). Future Kings and queens of Spain were buried at El Escorial, near Madrid. The tombs were carved out of marble by the Tuscan sculptor Domenico Fancelli.
Mornings (all year) 10:00 to 13:30
Afternoons (July and August) 16:00 to 20:00
Afternoons (rest of the year) 16:00 to 19:00
Directions: City center.
Phone: +34 958 22 29 59
Beach_dog in Carrera de Darro
Interesting Area located between the Alhambra and the Albeicin districts. Has some good tapas bars (at Paseo de los Tristes) set below the Alhambra walls, its lovely at night with the Alhambra lit up. Also the location of the Arabic Baths.
Directions: Running from Plaza de Santa Ana.
University of Granada.
I'm not sure if I was supposed to do this, but, the University buildings were located just near my hotel. I took a walk through the University buildings, trying hard to look like a mature foreign student in my tourists shorts and t-shirt armed with a camera.
The University was founded in 1531, after the Christians had re taken Granada. Granada was the last bastion of the moors in Spain, and the University followed many of the traditions of the earlier Moorish University.
The buildings were impressive, set around a series of courtyards, in typical Andalucian style. Orange and Palm trees and tropical plants growing in its grounds. If you visit, take a look.
Granada's central plaza, lined with shops, restaurants and cafes.
From here you can go up to Carrera del Darro until the Paseo de los Tristes.
More Reviews (15)
Beach_dog's Related Pages
Granada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Granada"
- "Much More Than The Alhambra"
- "And How to fall in love with a city...."
- "Feel of Old Islam in Spain"
- "Beautiful architecture and fantastic views!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granada
- Hotels in Granada
- Transportation in Granada
- Nightlife in Granada
- Restaurants in Granada
- Shopping in Granada
- Warnings and Dangers in Granada
- See All...
Explore the World
- Silvassa Hotels
- Port-of-Spain Hotels
- Loch Muick Hotels
- Sun City Hotels
Badges & Stats in Granada
- 26 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 25 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Granada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granada
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 78 reviews, 114 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 47 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 29 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 26 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 22 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Granada hotel reviews
- Pension Britz
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2012
- Carmen de la Alcubilla del Caracol
- 178 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Pension Landazuri
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- San Anton Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2013
- Hotel Las Almenas
- 178 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- 242 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Carmen Hotel
- 218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Macia Plaza
- 198 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Hesperia Granada Hotel
- 170 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Hostal Sonia
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Pension Casa del Aljarife
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Hotel Macia Gran Via
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Melia Granada
- 202 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Hostal Atenas
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Posada Bocanegra
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Alhambra- 212 Reviews, 407 Photos
- Alhambra - Nasrid Palaces- 145 Reviews, 280 Photos
- Albaicin- 73 Reviews, 97 Photos
- Alhambra - Generalife Gardens- 77 Reviews, 168 Photos
- Catedral de la Annunciacion- 53 Reviews, 106 Photos
- Alhambra - Alcazar- 34 Reviews, 57 Photos
- Alcaiceria - Zoco- 13 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Mirador de San Nicolas- 16 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Sacromonte- 13 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Alhambra - Carlos V Palace- 41 Reviews, 79 Photos
See All Granada Things to Do