"Two days in a cave." Top 5 Page for this destination Guadix by Beach_dog

Guadix Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 148 photos

I arrived at night at my hotel in Guadix, the hotel was unusual in that all its rooms were caves. The view the following morning surprised me, the town lay below my cave with the Sierra Nevada mountains in the background. It was a big surprise and very beautiful.

Many people in this town still live in the ´Barrio de los Trogladitas´, a district where the houses are carved from the local soft clays. Cave living in not unusual in Andalucia, but Guadix and its surrounding district certainly holds the highest concentration of them.

Warm in winter and cool in the summer, the cave houses offer the ideal habitat in this region.

Guadix is a great place to visit, the town has an interesting Cathedral, many palaces and the Alcazaba (the old Arab fortress) at its center.

In the area there are also three Natural parks offering some stunning scenery, as well as the nearby castle at Lacalahorra. In the winter months the Sierra Nevada mountains offer great views a few Kilometers to the south.

• Last visit to Guadix: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 4, 2003

• pugwashman's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2009 at 9:14 AM

We went through Guadix on our way back from Granada and saw a few of the cave houses and were curious as to how they looked inside, so it's great to see your photos, thanks

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Great information and beautiful photos of your cave experience in Guadix! It looks like a wonderful area and I've always wanted to spend a night in a cave hotel!

• ricky52's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 7:49 PM

i have never heard of Guadix. Great pages, see you in Karlsruhe.

• wroclawiak's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2007 at 6:01 AM

Guadix has more to offer than I've thought. Thanks for infos.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2005 at 9:52 PM

Great picsof the cave house. We had friends who have a cortijo at Alhabia, near Almeria, and it is also a cave house. It was so cool inside although outside was pleasantly warm.

• Dec 11, 2004 at 7:34 AM

A magnificent place! When I visit Andalucia once more, I shall definitely come to Guadix.

• quartinb's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2004 at 2:37 PM

i'll be there one week from today,,,try to stay at cuevas accomodation,,,and how many euros should i give to see a house inside,,,?

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2004 at 6:24 AM

My husband's and my kind of place: unaffected by tourism! Your description of the churros made me hungry!

• cwest03's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2003 at 9:03 AM

Wow! The cave room looks great. I hope I get a chance to stay there on my trip to Spain. Thanks for the great tips.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2003 at 1:15 PM

Fantastic, great information and beautiful pictures. There is a lot to see here.

Beach_dog

“To view my nude passport picture, hold down 'ALT' and press 'F4'.”

Badges & Stats in Guadix