"Istan and the Sierra de las Nieves." Istán by Beach_dog
Istán Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 24 photos
I had been curious about this small town that is not far from Marbella for a while. Only one road leads there and it is only 15 kilometers from Marbella. On a fine, sunny Sunday in May, I decided to take a drive up to the town. Taking the N-340 west out of Marbella, I turned right onto the Istan road just before reaching Puerto Banus. The roads winds its way up through the hills in a series of bends, some quite dramatic, so if you are visiting take the road slowly. Although not a great distance it took me 45 minutes to reach Istan, mainly because there are ample places to stop and take in the views and panoramas. Being May the roadsides were also lined with wild flowers.
Istan itself was quite a surprise, bigger than I had imagined and very well cared for by its residents. Perched on a small plateau, the mountains to the east and north and a steep drop down to the river to its west. There were a lot of surprises too, much more to see than I had first thought, the village well, the church, even the cemetary was worth seeing. There is a Mirador (panoramic viewpoint) on a small hill to the east of the town, offering great views up and down the valley. I also walked down towards the river, through the Orange orchards and the outlying agricultural land. The town is a great starting point for walks in the Sierra de las Nieves natural park, it is located on the southern boundary of the park.
- Pros:Istan offers a lot to interest you for a half day outing.
- Cons:Awkward access road, take care driving.
- In a nutshell:I´m surprised Istan is not more visited than it is, lying so close to Marbella.
The ideal spot for refreshment after our walk. The cafe was mostly frequented by the locals, thats always an indication... more travel advice
The one thing I really love in Andalucia, is the way the mountains appear, late in the day. A series of greys... more travel advice
Beach_dog's Related Pages
Istán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Istan and the Sierra de las Nieves."
- "Exploring Istan"
- "Living in Istan"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Istán
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Istán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Istán
Photos in IstánSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Spain Intro, 78 reviews, 114 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 47 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 29 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 26 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 22 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues