"Architecture, Castle and Outstanding Scenery" Lacalahorra by Beach_dog
Lacalahorra Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 40 photos
One of those surprising little places in Spain, that has more than it appeared to offer. I did no research and thought I was just going to visit a castle, but was so surprised by the beauty of this town and its surrounding area.
It nests on the plain north of the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains. A few kilometers from Guadix and less than an hours drive from Granada. A small town with some interesting Andalucian style buildings, a impressive castle on its hilltop location, and surrounded by some really beautiful countryside. During March the Almond trees were in full blossom and the backdrop was the snow capped peaks of the mountains behind adding to the beauty.
Situated on the hill above the town, it was a lovely walk of about 10 minutes from the town center, a steep path wound up the hillside to its gates. On arriving we discovered it was only open on Wednesdays, but were not disappointed as the views and castle were well worth the short walk.
Small and very rural, the town possesed a collection of interesting buildings in typical local style, clustered around its center at the church.
From the castle hill you get great views around the area and of the nearby mountains. Apparently Lacalahoora has a Ski... more travel advice
A stop to rest and pose for a photo with Carmen (Carmela71) and the outer castle wall. more travel advice
Beach_dog's Related Pages
Lacalahorra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La Calahorra"
- "Architecture, Castle and Outstanding Scenery"
- "La Calahorra for the Castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lacalahorra
- Hotels in Lacalahorra
- Transportation in Lacalahorra
- Restaurants in Lacalahorra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lacalahorra
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Lacalahorra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lacalahorra
Photos in LacalahorraSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 78 reviews, 114 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 47 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 29 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 26 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 22 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues