"Beach_dog's Malaga Page" Málaga by Beach_dog
Málaga Travel Guide: 886 reviews and 2,303 photos
During my trip to Andalucia in August 2002, I attended the Malaga Feria. I was lucky to be in the company of Carmen (Carmela71), and her friends, thanks guys for taking care of me.
Spontaneous dancing breaks out on the streets, these ladies were very good and kept us entertained for quite some time.
3.000 years ago the Phoenicians landed in Málaga, they called it MALACA (probably from the word malac - to salt) and they used the harbour as an important centre for salting fish. The fortress overlooking Málaga was originally Phoenician and the interesting archaeological museum housed in the Moorish Castle, beneath this fortress contains Phoenician pottery excavated from the fortress and nearby burial grounds.
The Greeks followed the Phoenicians in the 6th century B.C. Málaga was further developed by the Romans, who colonised Spain in 218 B.C. and stayed for more than six centuries. They enlarged the fortress and built a theatre as its base, which is now partly excavated and open to the public. In 711 B.C. the Moors invaded Spain and called her Al-Andalus. Málaga became a major Moorish city and port, famed for Figs and Wine. It was one of the last Moorish cities to fall to the Christian conquerors, Isabella and Ferdinand in 1487.
Today Malaga is a thriving port and is the entry point for all the holiday makers for the Costa del Sol, at its modern Airport. It is the most visited area of Spain.
Beach_dog's Related Pages
Málaga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MALAGA LA BELLA"
- "MALAGA "CAPITAL OF THE COSTA DEL SOL""
- "MAGNIFICENT MALAGA"
- "There's more to Malaga than the airport"
- "Malaga & Costa del Sol UNDER RECONSTRUCTION....."
- "A WONDERFUL DAY WITH SPECIAL FRIENDS"
- "The Fortress and castle on top ranks high"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Málaga
- Hotels in Málaga
- Transportation in Málaga
- Nightlife in Málaga
- Restaurants in Málaga
- Shopping in Málaga
- Warnings and Dangers in Málaga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Málaga
- 14 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 33 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Málaga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Málaga
Photos in MálagaSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Spain Intro, 78 reviews, 114 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 47 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 29 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 26 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 22 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues