"Beach_dog's Malaga Page" Málaga by Beach_dog

Málaga Travel Guide: 887 reviews and 2,326 photos

Malaga Feria 2002
Malaga Feria - August 2002.

During my trip to Andalucia in August 2002, I attended the Malaga Feria. I was lucky to be in the company of Carmen (Carmela71), and her friends, thanks guys for taking care of me.

Spontaneous dancing breaks out on the streets, these ladies were very good and kept us entertained for quite some time.

Malaga History and Today

3.000 years ago the Phoenicians landed in Málaga, they called it MALACA (probably from the word malac - to salt) and they used the harbour as an important centre for salting fish. The fortress overlooking Málaga was originally Phoenician and the interesting archaeological museum housed in the Moorish Castle, beneath this fortress contains Phoenician pottery excavated from the fortress and nearby burial grounds.

The Greeks followed the Phoenicians in the 6th century B.C. Málaga was further developed by the Romans, who colonised Spain in 218 B.C. and stayed for more than six centuries. They enlarged the fortress and built a theatre as its base, which is now partly excavated and open to the public. In 711 B.C. the Moors invaded Spain and called her Al-Andalus. Málaga became a major Moorish city and port, famed for Figs and Wine. It was one of the last Moorish cities to fall to the Christian conquerors, Isabella and Ferdinand in 1487.

Today Malaga is a thriving port and is the entry point for all the holiday makers for the Costa del Sol, at its modern Airport. It is the most visited area of Spain.

• Last visit to Málaga: Oct 2002
  • Intro Written Oct 13, 2002

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I hope to re visit Malaga next year.

Ciao!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Sounds like August would be the best time to visit Málaga, during the Feria. My only visit there was in January, on a bicycle trip, and it rained quite a bit. I see you have signed up for EuroMeet 2008 in Karlsruhe, so I look forward to meeting you there.

• portgrl's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2005 at 1:43 PM

Thanks for sharing Malaga;) i was there but was already night...gotta come back!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2004 at 11:27 AM

Just checking it out, it’s always good to get 2nd opinion LOL

• pginer's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2004 at 6:51 AM

Many, many thanks! it was a wonderful day!!!

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2004 at 2:06 AM

In your next visit we wil improve the nightlife and restaurants one... And maybe the SHOPPING ones!!!!!! hehehehe

• pollon's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2003 at 12:54 PM

the day I will finally succeed in going, I would need a couple of personal guides and I have two names in mind ;-)

• dila's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2003 at 4:59 AM

nice pictures and info

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2003 at 4:18 AM

good coverage n some good history. in order to reach fuengirola, we had used Malaga's airport.

• johanl's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2003 at 7:36 AM

well done. Nice pics.

Beach_dog

“To view my nude passport picture, hold down 'ALT' and press 'F4'.”

Badges & Stats in Málaga