"Ojén a white village" Ojén by Beach_dog
Ojén Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 71 photos
Ojén has a population of 2000, but it has not attracted the attention of wealthy expatriates. It has somehow conspired to remain relatively unspoiled in spite of its accessibility and the madcap whirl around it.
It is situated beside the Almadán stream above the valley of the rio Real at an altitude of 650ft, hemmed in by the sierras Blanca and Alpujata. In that, we may have a clue to the Moors' determination to stay in spite of their apparent antipathy, for both ranges of mountains have long been known as rich sources of talc, nickel, iron and lead. This mineral wealth put the area in the forefront of the Spanish industrial revolution of the 19th Century.
Of more interest to the visitor is the old part of town which spreads down the mountainside. Here the cobbled streets are narrow and well served by welcome drinking fountains. But Ojén used to be famous for something a little stronger than water. The production of the anise liqueur, aguardiente, which many Spaniards take each day with their morning coffee, once played a major part in the town's economy.
Close by, in the Serrania de Ronda, is the Refugio de Juanar. Originally the private hunting lodge of the wealthy Larios family, and a favoured retreat of King Alfonso XIII, this is now a hotel popular with tourists and hunters. For the Serrania is still very much a hunting reserve where ibex, wildcats and eagles abound. It is also a favourite with ramblers and hikers who come to relish the pure mountain air and the stunning views of Marbella and the coast 3000 feet below.
- Pros:Totally unspoilt.
- Cons:Not the prettiest of the white villages.
- In a nutshell:Well worth a visit.
Museum of Wine. An old distillerie now used as a museum for local wines, and winemaking implements. Entrance is free... more travel advice
I also liked these typical Andalucian tiles, showing historical scenes from Agricultural life. more travel advice
Beach_dog's Related Pages
Ojén Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ojén in Andalucia"
- "OJÉN - a village in the mountains of Spain."
- "Ojén a white village"
- "under construction"
- "Ojen is a nice little village in the mountains."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ojén
- 9 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Ojén?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ojén
Photos in OjénSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Spain Intro, 78 reviews, 114 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 47 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 29 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 26 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 22 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues