"Wind & Nature" Tarifa (Cadiz) by Beach_dog
Tarifa (Cadiz) Travel Guide: 202 reviews and 413 photos
Tarifa is Europes southernmost city. It has a reputation probably derserved of also being the windiest city. For this reason many water sports such as windsurfing, surfing, kite surfing and paracending take place along this section of coast.
Tarifa was originally a walled city, well fortified against the many sieges that shaped it's history. Many of the walls and fortifications can still be seen today.
The city itself has A very arabic flavour, not surprising as it was occupied by the moors for over 500 years. The city was named after Tarif Ben Malluk, a Berber who occupied it in July 710 AD. It was used as a port for access for the muslim armies that followed into El Andalus, being only 14 kilometers from the African coast. It's history though probably goes back much further, maybe as for back as King Tago, who is thought to have established it in 2118 BC.
After 500 years of rule by the Moors, the city was captured on a few occassions, by Alphonso IV in 1083, Alphonso VIII and Fernando II in the twelth century and finally in 1291 captured by Sancho IV of Castille, after a dispute with it's occupier Abu Ya'qub Yusuf. Many attempts were made to recapture it by the Moors, but all were unsuccessful. In 1294 it was defended by Alonso Pérez de Guzmán (Guzman the Good).
It was also garrisoned when the British took Gibraltar in the 18th century.
Another strange thing to see on a day out... a group of formation dancing cats :0) These cats were hanging around a... more travel advice
'Vaca loca' translates as 'Mad Cow'. How do I know this cow was mad... well it must be drinking from a pink bath :0) I... more travel advice
Beach_dog's Related Pages
Tarifa (Cadiz) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awesome Tarifa - wild and interesting!"
- "Tarifa - Costa de la Luz"
- "Tarifa - the city of the wind"
- "The REAL windy Tarifa"
- "Keeweechic's Tarifa"
- "Wind City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Hotels in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Transportation in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Nightlife in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Restaurants in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Shopping in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Warnings and Dangers in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- 23 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Tarifa (Cadiz)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarifa (Cadiz)
Photos in Tarifa (Cadiz)See All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 78 reviews, 114 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 47 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 29 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 26 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 22 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Tarifa (Cadiz) hotel reviews
- Beach Hotel Dos Mares
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- Pension Correo
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Melia Atlanterra
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2012
- Hostal Alborada
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 28, 2013
- Misiana Boutique Hotel
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- La Codorniz
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 25, 2013
- Pension Facundo
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013