Namibia Off The Beaten Path Tips by cbeaujean
Namibia Off The Beaten Path: 88 reviews and 133 photos
scene de rue
walvis bay laguna,flamingos
don't even think to enjoy nice sandy beaches.....too cold all year long:average temperature 16ºC....most of days cloudy , foggy or windy! ONLY along seaside!
leaving seaside,after 10 to 15 km,you'll find sunny weather!
but,this german city is a very good place to spend a night:nice hotels and good restaurants ...moreover if you appreciate german meals and beverages,here it's the place!
saturday afternoon and sunday,city is dead:all is closed!
if you have time enough,you must go to welwitschias drive (see things to do tip)....
for more ideas,have a look to the pics ...
duwisib castle ,on D826
no words....an unique and strange namibian castle....more some rare roadsigns....
btw,no traffic jams at all....
all deserts are different....in namib desert,roads are in good conditions and kilometric average is rather high....with a good map,water and tyres...no problem,even to find petrol!
and of course,fantastic and amazing landscapes!
where?on main road B4,a few km after aus on way to luderitz,in ther desert.
you need,theorically,an official guide to meet them,because they are in a diamond zone,entrance prohibited!
people tells the horses were abandoned by german armies in 1915...adapting theirselves to hard conditions
ask for the key at quivertree forest rest camp (see hotels tip) where you have to pay the entrance fees.
"giant playground" :when leaving restcamp,take left on C17...you'll find it 5km later,on right side of the C17 road.
playground is a surprising geological formation...best moment to visit it:when sun goes down...
it looks really as if it was archelogical ruins...170 millions years old!
the quivertree or "kokerboom" is one of the most interesting and characteristic plants of the very hot and dry parts of namibia.
In fact,not really a tree,but an aloe plant;botanical name is "aloe dichotoma".
dichotoma refers to the forked branches of the plant.
Plant,also called "kokerboom" because bushmen and hottentot tribes used the tough,pliable bark and branches to make quivers for their arrows,"koker" being the afrikaans word for quiver".
big quivertrees are between 200 and 300 years old.all are natural,not at all planted by humans.
quivertrees occurs in black rock formations,which absorb heat during hot summer.
rocks anchor plants which have a spread root system.
flowering season:in winter,june and july.
fees (30N$) to be payed in quivertree forest rest camp (see hotels tips).
quivertrees forest near camping...from keetmanshoop, C17,18km NW
More Reviews (16)
cbeaujean's Related Pages
Namibia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Extreme World"
- "Namibia, an unknown yet unique African gem"
- "SAND, SUN AND SKYDIVING !!!!!"
- "Namibia - the dry paradise"
- "Namibian Safari"
- "Namibia - my introduction to Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Namibia
- Hotels in Namibia
- Transportation in Namibia
- Nightlife in Namibia
- Restaurants in Namibia
- Shopping in Namibia
- Warnings and Dangers in Namibia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Virginia Beach Hotels
- Singapore Hotels
- Cebu City Hotels
- Dubai Hotels
- Trinidad and Tobago Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Kandy Hotels
- Pigeon Forge Hotels
- Galveston Hotels
- San Antonio Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- Puerto Princesa City Hotels
- La Spezia
- Avery Island Hotels
- Saskatoon Hotels
- Laoag City
Badges & Stats in Namibia
- 24 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Namibia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Namibia
Top 10 Pages
- Chile Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos
- Morocco Intro, 38 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Syria Intro, 33 reviews, 33 photos
- Málaga Intro, 18 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bolivia Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 21 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos
- Croatia Intro, 22 reviews, 22 photos
- Sicuani Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
Top Namibia hotels
- Windhoek Hotels
- 233 Reviews - 839 Photos
- Swakopmund Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 108 Photos
- Waterberg Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 3 Photos
- Otjiwarongo Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Opuwo Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 13 Photos
- Ondangwa Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Namib-Naukluft Park Hotels
- 143 Reviews - 405 Photos
- Luderitz Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 14 Photos
- Etosha National Park Hotels
- 194 Reviews - 539 Photos
- Daan Viljoen Game Park Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 12 Photos
- Walvisbaai Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 148 Photos
- Fish River Canyon Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 3 Photos
- Desert and dunes- 73 Reviews, 97 Photos
- Etosha National Park- 50 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Swakopmund- 31 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Fish River Canyon- 15 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Peoples of Namibia - Himba, Herero- 10 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Plants - Welwitschia, Quiver trees, Baobab- 13 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Damaraland - Rock Art, Brandberg- 16 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Windhoek- 10 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Walvis Bay- 10 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Cheetah Parks- 9 Reviews, 17 Photos
See All Namibia Things to Do