Chile Things to Do Tips by cbeaujean
Chile Things to Do: 371 reviews and 743 photos
mountain road,paso del cristo redentor
an amazing landscape all around the road through the andes mountains between mendoza (arg) and los andes to santiago de chile.
the "trasandino central" railway (mendoza-los andes),closed since earlies 80,in very bad state when we did the travel (dec 2001),would be re-opened for 2006!!!
Directions: chilean side of aconcagua road (4300m) between mendoza and santiago...some km after the border,near el paso del cristo redentor.
lago chungara and volcano
parinacota volcano (6330m) as backstage
a wide blue lake,changing of color at different times of the day;when bad weather,grey and the landscape becomes moving and gloomy.
Directions: 197km from arica through putre...12km before bolivian border.
built in 1876 in paris and carried in spare parts!
no problems at all,in case of earthquakes.
gothic style,yellow and white contrasting with iron frame and small octagonal clocktower.
Address: plaza colon
arica main station
the "ferrocarril de arica a la paz" was built after the 1904 peace and friendship treaty between chile and bolivia,putting an end to pacific war.
inaugurated may 13,1913,in bolivia's service!
steam loco is a german one (1924)
Address: arica main station,21 de mayo
facing the main station.
built in 1874.
each brick bears the engineer's hallmark.
el gigante de atacama
100km from iquique:to the panamerican,then on the left to huara
(arica direction),on the right ,after 12 km east in chusmina direction....you'll find on your left a narrow and dusty track ...2km more,here you are!
"...the largest archaeological representation of a human figure in the world,a massive 86m high.
from the figure's rectangular head,supported by a pencil-thin neck,emanate a dozen rays ,four from the top and four from each side.the eyes and mouth are square,the torso long and narrow,the arms bent (one hand appears to be an arrowhead).the size of the feet suggest the figure is wearing boots,and there are odd protrusions from the knees and thighs.alongside the geant is another odd creature with what appears to be a tail,perhaps a monkey,although a reptile seems likelier in the desert environment.
the two figures are set amidst a complex of lines and circles,and on one side of the hill (facing the huara-chusmiza road,visible as you approach the hill)are a number of enormous clearings.the entire gigante is visible if you stand several hundred meters back from the base of the isolated hill,so avoid climbing it,which damages the site..."
(lonely planet,chile,5th edition,page 258)
MORE GEOGLYPHES,ON TRAVELOGUE!
parque nacional lauca:chungara lake (4500 m high) one of the higher lakes in the world, and volcan parinacota
Directions: on the road between arica and bolivian border
formely,congreso nacional...until dissolved on september 11,1973 by pinochet's coup d'etat.
on this balcony,appeared for last time salvador allende ....
Address: plaza de la constitution
Directions: 3 blocks south of plaza de armas
at the top of artilleria,a highly spectacular panorama,the naval museum,and this old and beautiful wooded house!
Directions: at the top of artilleria funicular
built in 1892
to naval school,today naval museum.
stunning views ,and nice wooded houses,at the top.
going down is cheaper than going up!
Address: plaza wheelwright
Directions: first on west bound
More Reviews (32)
- See All tocopilla,a busy industrial town
- handicrafts aymaras,facing...
- putre,gate to P.N.Lauca and lago...
cbeaujean's Related Pages
Chile Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CHILE---A Surprising Country!"
- "Chile - A gifted land"
- "Chile - Land of fabulous contrasts"
- "Land of the Guanaco"
- "* A DISTANT BUT FRIENDLY COUNTRY *"
- "Chile - very diverse scenery"
- "Mission : Fireland - Vers la Tiera de Fuego..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chile
- Hotels in Chile
- Transportation in Chile
- Nightlife in Chile
- Restaurants in Chile
- Shopping in Chile
- Warnings and Dangers in Chile
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cyprus Hotels
- Zichron Yaakov
- Lago di Santa Croce Hotels
- Pulau Batam Hotels
- Ballyjamesduff Hotels
Badges & Stats in Chile
- 55 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Chile?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chile
- Posted in Travel Spain Forum "RE: 7days in Spain"
- Commented on one of tini58de's Chile travel pages
- updated a Chile Travel Page "north chile:to lauca NP through atacama desert"
- Uploaded a Photo to "santiago,a third of chile population..."
- Wrote a Review tocopilla,a busy industrial town in Chile Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Chile Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos
- Morocco Intro, 38 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Syria Intro, 33 reviews, 33 photos
- Málaga Intro, 18 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bolivia Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 21 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos
- Croatia Intro, 22 reviews, 22 photos
- Sicuani Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
Top Chile hotels
- Santiago Hotels
- 950 Reviews - 2200 Photos
- Valparaíso Hotels
- 313 Reviews - 835 Photos
- La Serena Hotels
- 87 Reviews - 201 Photos
- San Pedro de Atacama Hotels
- 223 Reviews - 634 Photos
- Punta Arenas Hotels
- 174 Reviews - 430 Photos
- Torres del Paine Hotels
- 83 Reviews - 353 Photos
- Viña del Mar Hotels
- 106 Reviews - 221 Photos
- Puerto Natales Hotels
- 137 Reviews - 320 Photos
- El Arrayán Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Toconao Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 5 Photos
- Puerto Varas Hotels
- 58 Reviews - 225 Photos
- Puerto Montt Hotels
- 110 Reviews - 462 Photos
- Concepción Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Antofagasta Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 75 Photos
- Santa Cruz Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 99 Photos