"biblical and holy city....with a touch of orient" Top 5 Page for this destination Sanliurfa by cbeaujean
Sanliurfa Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 345 photos
one of the oldest cities over world and history!
abraham,job,st george stayed here.
later "edesse" was occupied by seleucides,byzantines,persians,turks,arabs,crusaders
moreover, a holy city,where turks come in pilgrimage.
urfa,became sanliurfa,(sanli means "brave") for resisting to french army after 1st world war.
nowadays,huge ataturk dam ,irrigating mesopotamia,is changing and improving its economic life!
- Pros:compared to others cities,a very clean one
- Cons:traffic jams and sultry weather (in summer,of course!)
- In a nutshell:city heritage showed to advantage
48km SE from urfa:take road to aksakale on 35km,then turn left to harran. see my harran page more travel advice
syrian style (looks as alep mosques) more travel advice
cbeaujean's Related Pages
Sanliurfa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sanliurfa - 'Glorious Urfa'"
- "maykal's new Sanli Urfa Page"
- "biblical and holy city....with a touch of orient"
- "Edessa Urfa الرها"
- "yoshimi's new Sanli Urfa Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sanliurfa
- Hotels in Sanliurfa
- Transportation in Sanliurfa
- Nightlife in Sanliurfa
- Restaurants in Sanliurfa
- Warnings and Dangers in Sanliurfa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sanliurfa
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Sanliurfa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sanliurfa
- Posted in Travel Spain Forum "RE: 7days in Spain"
- Wrote a Review harran,inhabited uninterruptedly since millenaries in Sanliurfa Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "harran,inhabited uninterruptedly since millenaries"
- updated a Sanliurfa Travel Page "biblical and holy city....with a touch of orient"
- Commented on one of maykal's Sanliurfa travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Chile Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos
- Morocco Intro, 38 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Syria Intro, 33 reviews, 33 photos
- Málaga Intro, 18 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bolivia Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 21 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos
- Croatia Intro, 22 reviews, 22 photos
- Sicuani Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos