"queensali's new Germany Page" Germany by queensali
Germany Travel Guide: 58,148 reviews and 173,649 photos
As Western Europe's richest and most populous nation, Germany remains a key member of the continent's economic, political, and defense organizations. European power struggles immersed the country in two devastating World Wars in the first half of the 20th century and left the country occupied by the victorious Allied powers of the US, UK, France, and the Soviet Union in 1945. With the advent of the Cold War, two German states were formed in 1949: the western Federal Republic of Germany (FRG) and the eastern German Democratic Republic (GDR). The democratic FRG embedded itself in key Western economic and security organizations, the EC and NATO, while the communist GDR was on the front line of the Soviet-led Warsaw Pact. The decline of the USSR and the end of the Cold War allowed for German unification in 1990. Since then Germany has expended considerable funds to bring eastern productivity and wages up to western standards. In January 1999, Germany and 10 other EU countries formed a common European currency, the euro.
1)Location: Central Europe, bordering the Baltic Sea and the North Sea, between the Netherlands and Poland, south of Denmark
2)Climate: temperate and marine; cool, cloudy, wet winters and summers; occasional warm foehn wind
3)Population: 82,797,408 (July 2000 est.)
4)Ethnic groups: German 91.5%, Turkish 2.4%, other 6.1% (made up largely of Serbo-Croatian, Italian, Russian, Greek, Polish, Spanish)
5)Religions: Protestant 38%, Roman Catholic 34%, Muslim 1.7%, unaffiliated or other 26.3%
conventional long form: Federal Republic of Germany
conventional short form: Germany
local long form: Bundesrepublik Deutschland
local short form: Deutschland
8)Data code: GM
9)Government type: federal republic
10)National holiday: German Unity Day (Day of Unity), 3 October (1990)
11)Constitution: 23 Ma>
queensali's Related Pages
Germany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where to go and what to see !"
- "Germany - my beautiful home country :-)"
- "Germany on a Budget from an Insider"
- "Breweries, Hikes and Climbs"
- "Germany - Home, sweet Home!"
- "Paul's Germany Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Germany
- Hotels in Germany
- Transportation in Germany
- Nightlife in Germany
- Restaurants in Germany
- Shopping in Germany
- Warnings and Dangers in Germany
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Germany
- 11 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Germany
Top 10 Pages
- Poznan Intro, 21 reviews, 16 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos
- Krakow Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Vienna Intro, 11 reviews, 7 photos
- Libya Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Gdansk Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- The Hague Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Bulgaria Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Wroclaw Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Livorno Intro, 8 reviews, 2 photos