"Travels, People, Nature, Animals - just my love" Landad's Profile
my name is Jolanta and I am from Gdansk - the city which is over 1000 years old - famous of independence - where the IIWW started and solidarity was born - where socialism in Eastern Europe collapsed - where 2 Polish Presidents where from.
Due to the ex-political system (socialism) it was very difficult to travel abroad from the Eastern Block. Simply whenever there was a slight risk, that a person would like to stay abroad and not to go back to Poland, the government didn’t issue a passport, so we - inhabitants of Polish land - couldn't travel.
I remember the old system - socialism, when my mother after queuing several hours in front of a shop could get only 2 kg of meat per month or one bar of chocolate, when buying a toilet paper or cotton woolen for women was a really enormous thing and we had to queue several times to buy some spare goods for another month, when I was dreaming about eating oranges and mandarines but the only fruit we could get at Christmas was grapefruit… I still don’t like it….
I was 15 when the system has changed. The Polish nation had to get used to the new reality - democracy, the value of money, time and modern technology.
In age of 18 I left my country for the first time and I went to Paris.
During my first trip abroad I understood how important is to know another language and how big freedom it can give me. From that moment I started learning English and dreaming about trips far away from home...
So far I have visited 18 countries in Europe, north America, Asia and Australia and I am still hungry for visiting more... In the past I traveled alone, mostly because people I knew preferred to spend money on different things than traveling... and from a perspective of time, I see that it helped me in meeting many interesting people.
Today, after 12 years of traveling, when I am 30 and I met my dearest partner, I have left Poland and moved to UK ... I like to think that it happened due to my first trip abroad - when I’ve got bitten by a traveling bug and I decided to learn English…
The wiev from my window. If you look carefully, you can see the City Hall and a part of St. Maria Church, also the famous Dlugie Pobrzeze chanel with some boats on.
This is the view I used to see when working in the internet, checking the weather in the city or drinking morning coffee.
On the 17th of July 2006 at 5 a.m. I was woken up by peagons, which tried to make a nest on my balcony and made lots of noise... I woke up to close the balcony door and I noticed that the sun was already on the way. I took that picture and went back to sleep :).
Carlo wrote me a mail 2 months before coming to Gdansk.... and 2 months later, I had an occasion to meet him and his friend Michele.
We had a nice few hours long conversation and... this is the result :-).
Carlo has written a description about the restaurant he is sitting in the picture on his VT page. If you are interested in his opinion
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 40 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Landad and Carmela71 are now friends.
- Commented on Tiziano1515's profile page
- Wrote a Review B&B overlooking Darwent Water-2.3... in Lake District National Park Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "B&B overlooking Darwent Water-2.3 mil to Keswick"
- updated a Lake District National Park Travel Page "Lake District changed my point of view on England"
updated their Profile Page "Travels, People, Nature, Animals - just my love"
- Posted in Travel Kosicky Forum "A nice, cheap place to stay for 1..."
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 27 reviews, 22 photos
- Singapore Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lake District National Park Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Australia Intro, 3 reviews, 1 photo
- Bangkok Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Poland Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Durham Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 3 photos
- Perth Intro, 2 photos
- Krakow Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Paris Hotels
- 22465 Reviews - 54992 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- Subic Hotels
- 246 Reviews - 861 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23318 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos