"Travels, People, Nature, Animals - just my love" Landad's Profile

Where do the travels lead to ?

Dear Travelers,

my name is Jolanta and I am from Gdansk - the city which is over 1000 years old - famous of independence - where the IIWW started and solidarity was born - where socialism in Eastern Europe collapsed - where 2 Polish Presidents where from.

Due to the ex-political system (socialism) it was very difficult to travel abroad from the Eastern Block. Simply whenever there was a slight risk, that a person would like to stay abroad and not to go back to Poland, the government didn’t issue a passport, so we - inhabitants of Polish land - couldn't travel.

I remember the old system - socialism, when my mother after queuing several hours in front of a shop could get only 2 kg of meat per month or one bar of chocolate, when buying a toilet paper or cotton woolen for women was a really enormous thing and we had to queue several times to buy some spare goods for another month, when I was dreaming about eating oranges and mandarines but the only fruit we could get at Christmas was grapefruit… I still don’t like it….

I was 15 when the system has changed. The Polish nation had to get used to the new reality - democracy, the value of money, time and modern technology.

In age of 18 I left my country for the first time and I went to Paris.

During my first trip abroad I understood how important is to know another language and how big freedom it can give me. From that moment I started learning English and dreaming about trips far away from home...

So far I have visited 18 countries in Europe, north America, Asia and Australia and I am still hungry for visiting more... In the past I traveled alone, mostly because people I knew preferred to spend money on different things than traveling... and from a perspective of time, I see that it helped me in meeting many interesting people.

...

Today, after 12 years of traveling, when I am 30 and I met my dearest partner, I have left Poland and moved to UK ... I like to think that it happened due to my first trip abroad - when I’ve got bitten by a traveling bug and I decided to learn English…

Gdansk behind my window

The wiev from my window. If you look carefully, you can see the City Hall and a part of St. Maria Church, also the famous Dlugie Pobrzeze chanel with some boats on.

This is the view I used to see when working in the internet, checking the weather in the city or drinking morning coffee.

Sunrise in Gdansk

On the 17th of July 2006 at 5 a.m. I was woken up by peagons, which tried to make a nest on my balcony and made lots of noise... I woke up to close the balcony door and I noticed that the sun was already on the way. I took that picture and went back to sleep :).

My first VT meeting in Gdansk

Carlo wrote me a mail 2 months before coming to Gdansk.... and 2 months later, I had an occasion to meet him and his friend Michele.
We had a nice few hours long conversation and... this is the result :-).
Carlo has written a description about the restaurant he is sitting in the picture on his VT page. If you are interested in his opinion
check.

• Intro Updated Dec 22, 2006

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Happy Birthday from sunny California!

• Carletto76's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2008 at 7:24 AM

Ciao Jola, once again it's your birthday and this time I'm also writing on the right day! :) I wish you all the best, and I still wait to see you here in Genova! :))

• Bokhari76's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Hi Jolanta. Happy Birthdya to you. Wish you many happy returns of the day.

• Feb 19, 2007 at 1:17 AM

Great HP, Happy Birthday!

• tosse's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2007 at 11:10 PM

Happy Birthday Jolanta, and have a great day.

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2007 at 10:27 PM

Happy Birthday to you:-)

• twas's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2006 at 1:16 AM

Making a conversation to stranger and travelling alone is always hard for me. You are great to make it easy. Follow your way must be very excited.

• Aug 3, 2006 at 3:49 AM

I was happy to read your comment. To be honest, the smile is so nice thank to the photographer. I don't know if I will write a lot about my travels on my VT-homepage... actually I prefer talking about them than writing...

• Beach_dog's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2006 at 3:42 AM

Happy birthday for yesterday. Sorry I´m a day late, I must be running on Spanish time ;o)) I hope you had a great day.

• Joseignacio's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2006 at 2:24 AM

A little late, but ... Congratulations! A cheek kiss from Spain.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!