"Dundalk ,Md HON" Dundalk by RIPKEN_HOF
Dundalk Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 17 photos
John Smith landed on the Patapsco Neck while conducting an expedition up the Chesapeake Bay in 1608. Until that time the land was occupied by war-like Susquehanna Indians.
In 1664 Thomas Todd from Virginia purchased 1,150 acres. This was the first deed in Baltimore County. This original house, "Todd's Inheritance," was burned by the British in the War of 1812. The house was rebuilt and still stands as a historical landmark.
Dundalk was named after a town in Ireland. Henry McShane (McShaneway is named after him) came from Ireland and in 1895 established the McShane Bell Foundry. The foundry manufactured cast iron pipes and furnace fittings. When asked by the Baltimore and Sparrows Point Railroad for a name for the depot, Mr. McShane wrote Dundalk, after his birthplace in Ireland.
In 1916, Bethlehem Steel Company purchased 1,000 acres of farmland to develop housing for its shipyard workers. The Dundalk Company was formed to plan a town in the new residential style (a copy of the Roland Park area) excluding businesses except at specific spots and leaving land for developing schools, playing fields, and parks.
In 1917, Dundalk proper was founded. It had 62 houses, 2 stores, a post office and a telephone exchange.
In the 1920's the area now known as Logan Village was Logan Airfield. The airfield was named after Lieutenant Patrick H. Logan, a World War I hero. He was killed on July 5, 1920 while performing stunts for the crowd at the airfield. The tail supports of his plane bent and jammed the controls during his famous tailspin from 2,000 feet altitude.
Several aviation "firsts" took place at Logan Airfield:
On a hot day in the summer of 1929, one plane refueled another during a 35-mile-an-hour wind at 3,000 feet over Dundalk.
Pitcairn Aviation, Inc., one of the nation's pioneer airlines, inaugurated the first regular air mail service to and from Baltimore on May 6, 1929.
The present Eastern Airlines was one of the first to establish a regular passenger service with continuous operation.
Irish Origins: What's In A Namesake
by Wayne Laufert
The original Dundalk makes a toddler out of our 100-year-old town.
Dundalk, Ireland, traces its origins back more than 1,200 years. Its name comes from "Dun-Dealgan,'' which means "the fort of Dealga,'' referring to a Celtic stronghold carved from a large mound.
Dealga, according to tradition, was the home of the mythic warrior Cuchulainn.
Dundalk has been attacked and burned several times over the centuries by the likes of the Normans and Cromwell. It always managed to bounce back, though; its population increased from 600 in 1660 to about 30,000 today.
The 6,100-acre town is in Northeast Ireland, about midway between Dublin and Belfast, and is the administrative headquarters for Ireland's smallest county, Louth. Along its northern border is the Castletown River, which flows into Dundalk Bay,.
Among some familiar names there is Fairgreen Road, which runs through St. Helena Park along the bay. Avondale Park is a road in southern Dundalk.
To the south is a village called Dunleer. About 13 miles away is Ardee, site of a legendary battle between Cuchullain and his friend Ferdia.
There is no Oriole Park, but the Dundalk Football Club does play at Oriel Park.
Dundalk, Ireland, has this in common with its "daughter'' in Maryland: It's an industrial, waterfront town with a big annual festival, a golf course and a community college.
Dundalkians overseas enjoy the International Maytime Festival every spring. Another longtime annual tradition is the Dundalk Agricultural Show.
Cultural offerings include several performing arts groups and one of the oldest amateur theater festivals in the world.
Most of the locals work at breweries, tobacco companies, shoemaking plants, textile mills, soft drink bottlers or electronics manufacturers. The town exports meat, foot-wear, tobacco, cigarettes, beer, barley and oats. It imports coal, timber, iron, steel and raw tobacco.
Political turmoil and a lingering recession have slowed development in Dundalk, which has plenty of room for expansion to the west.
The Irish town's biggest contribution to ours was being the birthplace of Henry McShane, who left Ireland for America in 1847 and opened a bell foundry in Baltimore nine years later.
The plant burned in January 1894, so the McShanes bought land off the Patapsco River for a new foundry. Henry's son, William, named the area "Dundalk'' after his father's hometown.
Another Dundalk native is responsible for another namesake town in Ontario, Canada, about 80 miles north of Toronto. Irishman Elias B. Grey Sr. settled in a portion of Proton Township there in 1849 and named it after his birthplace.
It thrived as an agricultural supply center, especially after a railroad line was established in 1870. Dundalk, Ontario, was incorporated in 1887. Its population today is about 1,600.
- Pros:Captain Harveys Steak Subs, 4th of July Celebration, Steamed crabs all Summer , Sno-balls flavored type,
Fourteen years in the making, the final link in the Baltimore beltway (I-695) was finally finished in 1977. Crossing the... more travel advice
RIPKEN_HOF's Related Pages
Dundalk Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dundalk
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Dundalk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dundalk
Photos in DundalkSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocean City Intro, 54 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dundalk Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Gatlinburg Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Front Royal Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- North Point Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pigeon Forge Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Lexington Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Knoxville Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Assateague Island Intro, 3 photos