"Mount Desert Island Magic" Mount Desert Island by aquatic

Mount Desert Island Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 54 photos

How did it happen?

How did it happen? Maybe New York heated up too much, or my hiking shoes were in a closet for a while... Mount Desert Island was my destination and I went there unprepared. The GPS system through Verizon left us as soon as we got to the island. So I felt the wilderness was close enough. So was the darkness. Next morning I looked at the white boats sparkling under the sun and thought that the island is beautiful.
Soon I also found out that almost everybody who comes here for a vacation do the same thing I was planning to do - hiking. Everybody else also do biking and kayaking:)
I did not choose my trails carefully. I looked for the nice views and did not check the level of difficulty. At some point I had found myself cursing at my scariness of heights and unpreparedness, yet I climbed further. This is how I reached Beech Mountain and Beech Cliffs (from Echo lake beech), Razorback mountain, Mansell mountain, South Bubble (approaching from the north side), Surmont Mountain and Flying mountain.
Dining experience was very nice because I was more prepared and also judged restaurants by the smell or look of their food before I even ordered anything. My favorite two are Red Sky and The Burning Tree.
Shopping went very well when I visited one of the art and crafts show. I bought useful and beautiful things there. Amazing work of Maine artists charmed me. Too bad I could not afford wonderful watercolors I saw on Southwest Harbor art show.
Lodging experience good and bad. The service in Asticou was worst than ever expected anywhere in US. Once we passed by The Gray Rock Inn in Northeast Harbor and decided just to check if they have anything available... Next two nights I spent in the best Inn I could ever imagined! (You can't book the room online. They choose their clients carefully.)
In general, The Acadia National Park is truly the magical place. Read further and find out why.

• Last visit to Mount Desert Island: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2010

Comments

aquatic

“Life is short. Traveling makes it longer...”

Badges & Stats in Mount Desert Island

Have you been to Mount Desert Island?

Latest Activity in Mount Desert Island