"NAGASAKI" Nagasaki by KevinMichael

Nagasaki Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 373 photos

City Rebuilt (and now my Nagasaki website, too)

Nagasaki was obliverated on August 9, 1945 by the dropping of the second atomic bomb ever used directly on a human population (and let's hope the last).

My first trip to Nagasaki was in May 1999. Back then I really didn't get a chance to see much of it as I was only there for about a day and a half. But, this time I had more time there and I felt this was a better trip.

One of the nice things about then and now is the big change in the quality of my photographs. I almost want to keep some of them up as it turns out I went back to many of the same places and there is a huge difference between the quality of the disposable film camera I originally used (and then later scanned the pictures) and my 14.5 megapixel camera that I have now. So, I'll be sure to upload the way better pictures.

It is said that Nagasaki is often compared to San Francisco because of the way in which its hills roll across the landscape.

And like San Francisco it is a port city with significant history.

But, unlike San Francisco the homes are unadorned and without uniformity. The public streets look less planned out. And it feels smaller than San Francisco.

On this trip, I came to like Nagasaki more this time than the last. Part of that is because my wife and I found some really nice hang out locations. And wait to you see some of my photos. There is a lot of beauty here.

Which picture to use

Nowadays, due to having a digital camera which can store hundreds of pictures plus video, I tend to take many more pictures. As a result, it's harder to choose which pictures to use on my site. Here I've decided to focus on the pictures of the city. I'll save the others for where they are more applicable.

The residence of Nagasaki

One of the things we noticed while there was the lack of foreigners. Not to say that there weren't any, but there were many. This is surprising being that we usually see far more where we live in Niigata, yet this may have more to do with the location and how it is harder to get to.

We also noticed a lack of any English school conversation signs. Going to the Kinokuniya book store in the city center we found that there were few English books and only 2 English magazines (Newsweek and Time).

Compared to Niigata city, it appears that Nagasaki has a much smaller foreign (or at least obviously foreign) population. I didn't run into many English speaking Japanese either (only 1... a taxi driver).

Now this doesn't mean that there aren't any English schools. It just may mean that there aren't many. As it turns out, I've heard from one of my students who moved here that she hadn't found a good one yet and nothing like the LOFT (the school I devote my utmost professional attention to).

• Pros:Interesting City, full of history (that which has survived)
  • Cons:lots of hills, I don`t think I`d like bicycling here
  • In a nutshell:Worth a visit
  • Last visit to Nagasaki: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 20, 2011

• taigaa001's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Thanks for nice contribution on Nagasaki. I really enjoyed your pages and photos.

KevinMichael

“Respect and care for the Earth & make a lesser impact.”

Badges & Stats in Nagasaki

Have you been to Nagasaki?

Latest Activity in Nagasaki