"Muir Woods National Park" Muir Woods National Monument by KevinMichael
Muir Woods National Monument Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 113 photos
20 miles north of San Francisco grows a dense patch of forest known as Muir Woods. The forests boasts some of the most easily accessible tall old growth ancient forest with trees older than 1000 years and towering up to 260 feet high.
For nature lovers, like myself, this is a beautiful tranquil place to visit.
In the early part of the 20th century, two conservationist purchased the land known as Muir Woods for a sum of $45,000. William & Elizabeth Kent, the benefactors, set out to protect Muir Woods for generations to come. After the destruction of the 1906 earthquake that devastated much of San Francisco both in felled buildings and even more so in those that burned, people turned their sights on obtaining lumber the area of Muir Woods. But, fortunately the protection of these woods kept the lumberjacks out (they ended up cutting down old growth in other areas in the Santa Cruz mountains (i.e. Loma mar, Jones Gulch).
Today visitors to Muir Woods help to ensure its protection in their patronage and donations.
"... the best tree-lovers monument that could possibly be found in all the forests of the world.." - John Muir
By presidential proclamation, Muir Woods became the Unites States 7th National Monument on January 9, 1908. Although, President Roosevelt suggested naming the monument after Kent, Kent wanted the woods named after the conservationist John Muir.
Picture: The Throngs... I'd never seen this many people at Muir Woods ever. All the other times I've ever been here there were usually only a small group of people.
- In a nutshell:If only all of man had a conservationalists sense
Depending on the path, you'd likely devote at least 45 minutes to enjoying a stroll through Muir Woods. Some paths can... more travel advice
KevinMichael's Related Pages
Muir Woods National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Some of the Last Old-Growth Redwoods on Earth"
- "Gateway to the Redwoods"
- "Morning in the Woods"
- "Silence in the Trees"
- "An Ancient Forest"
- "MUIR WOODS NAT'L MONUMENT, CA"
- "Two Roads Diverged in the Wood"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Muir Woods National Monument
- Hotels in Muir Woods National Monument
- Transportation in Muir Woods National Monument
- Shopping in Muir Woods National Monument
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Muir Woods National Monument
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Muir Woods National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Muir Woods National Monument
Photos in Muir Woods National MonumentSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niigata Intro, 88 reviews, 211 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nagasaki Intro, 26 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Shasta Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ise Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Fraser Island Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Japan Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hiroshima Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 16 reviews, 31 photos