"FREMONT, California" Fremont by KevinMichael

Fremont Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 42 photos

This is where I grew up.

Well, I know Fremont better than I know any other city in the world. I lived there for over 20 years and I travelled to just about everywhere there was to go in Fremont. I used to work for the Fremont/Newark YMCA (8 years) and I used to be a Program Director. Part of my job included planning trips and doing activities throughout the city of Fremont. So, if there was something to do I made sure I knew about it.

Fremont is the 4th largest city in the state of California in terms of area. It is a little more than 100 square miles in size. It used to be one of the safest cities in the United States to live in (but, I've been hearing from family that now there are Mexican gangs taking up residence there).

Fremont is made up of five townships that joined together to become a city back in 1956. These townships still actively use the same names today: Niles, Mission San Jose, Centerville, Irvington, and Warm Springs.

Some history:

Mission San Jose takes its name from the Mission (which it should be clarified was never in the city of San Jose).

Centerville is pretty much what it sounds like. The center area of the city.

Warm Springs takes its name from the hot springs that used to be a popular travel spot to go to some 100 years plus back.

Washington does not take it's name from our first president but, both Washington and Irvington and their highschools get their names from Washington Irving who is most famous for writing The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

Niles takes its name from someone long dead by the name of Addison Niles (who most people today really wouldn't give a hoot about). Much more importantly, Niles was the filming location site for many Charlie Chaplins movies and other silent films and their stars way back when.

The S.F Bay Area has many things to do & see.

I first grew up in the Irvington district of Fremont. Then my family moved to Half Moon Bay. And then we moved back to Fremont to live in the Mission district back in 1978.

Now I'm living in Japan. And while there are some things to do where I live, it just doesn't compare to what seemed to be the endless options for places to go and things to do that were there for me when I lived back home in Fremont. In Niigata, Japan I'm doing all I can to help travellors identify what there is to do here. In Fremont, my list would be a good 1000 times longer if I had the time to write about everything there is to do. But, that's the big difference between the states and Japan. Japan has a lot to learn in terms of variety when it comes to entertainment and unfortunately Japanese businesses and the goverernment don't do a good enough job to cater to anyone other than the Japanese. This business gap is a business opportunity for the wise.

Mission San Jose in the Mission District

One of the oldest of the missions in California, Mission San Jose was established on the site of what used to be an Ohlone village called Oroysom. Only a few decendents of those Ohlone still remain today that I know of. One of them used to be a pastor at my church, St. Joseph's (located next to Mission San Jose) and his brother, Andy, is likely still active in the area teaching about and protecting newly discovered artifacts.
Their father used to come around to the elementary schools to teach us about the Ohlone.

Not far from here (a few blocks away) is Ohlone college. Ohlone college has a number of excellent instructors and has been used as a good spring board for getting into the local universities (CSUH (now going by a different name), San Jose State, Berkeley, and others).

• Pros:It's a beautiful city, nice people and a very comfortable place to live. I miss it.
  • Cons:I've heard things aren't what they used to be... whatever that means.
  • In a nutshell:It's an OK place to visit, but a better place to live.
  • Last visit to Fremont: Dec 2002
  • Intro Updated Aug 25, 2007

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2005 at 9:12 AM

Hi Kevin, You must have been homesick when you created this page. If you haven't read The Kite Runner, you should. It will bring some nostalgia to you.

KevinMichael

“Respect and care for the Earth & make a lesser impact.”

Badges & Stats in Fremont

Have you been to Fremont?

Latest Activity in Fremont