"FREMONT, California" Fremont by KevinMichael
Fremont Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 42 photos
Well, I know Fremont better than I know any other city in the world. I lived there for over 20 years and I travelled to just about everywhere there was to go in Fremont. I used to work for the Fremont/Newark YMCA (8 years) and I used to be a Program Director. Part of my job included planning trips and doing activities throughout the city of Fremont. So, if there was something to do I made sure I knew about it.
Fremont is the 4th largest city in the state of California in terms of area. It is a little more than 100 square miles in size. It used to be one of the safest cities in the United States to live in (but, I've been hearing from family that now there are Mexican gangs taking up residence there).
Fremont is made up of five townships that joined together to become a city back in 1956. These townships still actively use the same names today: Niles, Mission San Jose, Centerville, Irvington, and Warm Springs.
Mission San Jose takes its name from the Mission (which it should be clarified was never in the city of San Jose).
Centerville is pretty much what it sounds like. The center area of the city.
Warm Springs takes its name from the hot springs that used to be a popular travel spot to go to some 100 years plus back.
Washington does not take it's name from our first president but, both Washington and Irvington and their highschools get their names from Washington Irving who is most famous for writing The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.
Niles takes its name from someone long dead by the name of Addison Niles (who most people today really wouldn't give a hoot about). Much more importantly, Niles was the filming location site for many Charlie Chaplins movies and other silent films and their stars way back when.
I first grew up in the Irvington district of Fremont. Then my family moved to Half Moon Bay. And then we moved back to Fremont to live in the Mission district back in 1978.
Now I'm living in Japan. And while there are some things to do where I live, it just doesn't compare to what seemed to be the endless options for places to go and things to do that were there for me when I lived back home in Fremont. In Niigata, Japan I'm doing all I can to help travellors identify what there is to do here. In Fremont, my list would be a good 1000 times longer if I had the time to write about everything there is to do. But, that's the big difference between the states and Japan. Japan has a lot to learn in terms of variety when it comes to entertainment and unfortunately Japanese businesses and the goverernment don't do a good enough job to cater to anyone other than the Japanese. This business gap is a business opportunity for the wise.
One of the oldest of the missions in California, Mission San Jose was established on the site of what used to be an Ohlone village called Oroysom. Only a few decendents of those Ohlone still remain today that I know of. One of them used to be a pastor at my church, St. Joseph's (located next to Mission San Jose) and his brother, Andy, is likely still active in the area teaching about and protecting newly discovered artifacts.
Their father used to come around to the elementary schools to teach us about the Ohlone.
Not far from here (a few blocks away) is Ohlone college. Ohlone college has a number of excellent instructors and has been used as a good spring board for getting into the local universities (CSUH (now going by a different name), San Jose State, Berkeley, and others).
- Pros:It's a beautiful city, nice people and a very comfortable place to live. I miss it.
- Cons:I've heard things aren't what they used to be... whatever that means.
- In a nutshell:It's an OK place to visit, but a better place to live.
Getting to the top takes about 2 hours on average. The view is great allowing you to see across the Bay for a good... more travel advice
My students and I chartered a Shuttle Bus to get from YMCA Camp back to my parents house. It was convenient and... more travel advice
KevinMichael's Related Pages
Fremont Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Fremont, California Page"
- "FREMONT, California"
- "A night out......"
- "Fremont, CA is where I grew up"
- "The Disco boys 1979"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fremont
- Transportation in Fremont
- Restaurants in Fremont
- Warnings and Dangers in Fremont
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fremont
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Fremont?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fremont
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit Mission San Jose (in Fremont)"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Interesting home remedies !"
- Wrote a Review Bike up & down Mission Peak in Fremont Sports & Outdoors
- Commented on one of Nor_Cal_Brad's Fremont travel pages
- updated a Fremont Travel Page "FREMONT, California"
Photos in FremontSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niigata Intro, 88 reviews, 211 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nagasaki Intro, 26 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Shasta Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ise Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Fraser Island Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Japan Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hiroshima Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 16 reviews, 31 photos
Latest Fremont hotel reviews
- Motel 6 Fremont South
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013