"Niigata Prefecture" Niigata-ken by KevinMichael
Niigata-ken Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 460 photos
Coming from the East where it can be sunny and without snow in the winter and through the mountains we come to Japan's snow country.
Up until the end of the Edo Period, Niigata prefecture was made up of two divisions, Echigo and Sado. Echigo was primarily a food production powerhouse both for the harvesting of rice and for fishing. Sado was given special significance because of the wealth of its gold mine. This mine was seen to be so important that the it was governed directly by the Shogun rather than through one of his subordinate Daimyo.
Niigata is most famous for the quality of its rice, rice wine (sake), and raw fish (suishi/sashimi). Looking out through the windows of the Bullet Train (Shinkansen) as you travel through Niigata Prefecture you can see numerous farming communities growing rice and various vegetables.
From a ferry 30 minutes out of port we can see just how low and flat the Niigata plain really is. Will global warming someday cause see levels to inundate most of the prefecture?
Most of Niigata Prefecture`s population lives here on the the Niigata plain.
- Pros:Great food and peaceful place to live
- Cons:Very cold in winter
Teradomari has been often refered to by my students who have traveled there. So, I got a chance to see it this Golden... more travel advice
In Japanese, these are known as ashiyu. I am not sure whether to translate it as foot spa or leg spa as the Japanese... more travel advice
KevinMichael's Related Pages
Niigata-ken Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Niigata-ken
- Hotels in Niigata-ken
- Transportation in Niigata-ken
- Nightlife in Niigata-ken
- Restaurants in Niigata-ken
- Shopping in Niigata-ken
- Warnings and Dangers in Niigata-ken
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Niigata-ken
- 130 Reviews
- 341 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Niigata-ken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niigata-ken
Videos in Niigata-kenSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niigata Intro, 104 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nagasaki Intro, 26 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Shasta Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ise Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Fraser Island Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Japan Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hiroshima Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos
- Niigata-ken Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos