"Welcome to SAARLAND" Saarland by Leipzig
Saarland Travel Guide: 153 reviews and 471 photos
Saarland is the forth smallest state situated in the southwest. The state takes its name from the Saar River, a tributary of the Mosel. The southwest of the state is dominated by the Saar River which meanders charmingly through scenic countryside. It is also a famous vine growing area. The state capital Saarbrücken with its 185,000 inhabitants is an industrial hub. One fine Baroque building is the St. Ludwig Church built in 1762-75. The University of the Saarland in Saarbrücken, the colleges of art and music, and other higher education institutions and high schools are attended by many students from neighboring countries as well. Saarlois is the second largest city and derived its name from the river Saar and from the French King Louis XIV, who built a fortress here. Völklingen, situated between Saarbrücken and Saarlouis, was shaped by the ironworks founded here in 1873. This ironworks was shut down in 1986 and a part of it, Völklinger Hütte was placed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Leipzig's Related Pages
Saarland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "« Saarvoir » vivre and laissez faire –"
- "A tiny VT page for the tiny Saarland ..."
- "Welcome to SAARLAND"
- "I (Nobby 3) went to Saarland recently with mom :-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saarland
- Hotels in Saarland
- Transportation in Saarland
- Nightlife in Saarland
- Restaurants in Saarland
- Shopping in Saarland
- Warnings and Dangers in Saarland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saarland
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Saarland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saarland
Top 10 Pages
- Leipzig Intro, 113 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 60 reviews, 163 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 84 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 50 reviews, 121 photos, 2 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 31 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 47 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 48 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 40 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sweden Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue