"Welcome to RIGA" Riga by Leipzig
Riga Travel Guide: 1,859 reviews and 5,356 photos
The city was founded together with the erection of the monastery in 1190. It became member of the Hanseatic League in 1282 and because of its strategic position between Central Europe and Russia it developed into an important commercial centre. Over the centuries different rulers left their fingerprints in Riga, which can still be seen in its architecture.
After World War I, the independence of Latvia was proclaimed and Riga became capital. The country was incorporated into the Soviet Union in 1940 and became independent in 1991 with again Riga as capital.
Like in almost all European cities you can see musicians on the streets, singing or playing an instrument. But what I... more travel advice
There is no special rainy season Avg. Temp. in Spring: max.: 3 - 16?C ( 38 - 60?F ); min: -2 - 7?C ( 28 - 45?F... more travel advice
Leipzig's Related Pages
Riga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Turbulent Past Left Behind?"
- "A liveable city"
- "A few days in Riga"
- "Riga - biggest town in Baltic States"
- "Riga - the capital of Latvia"
- "Riga Latvia"
- "ART NOUVEAU RIGA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga
- Hotels in Riga
- Transportation in Riga
- Nightlife in Riga
- Restaurants in Riga
- Shopping in Riga
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riga
- 20 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Riga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga
Top 10 Pages
- Leipzig Intro, 113 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 60 reviews, 163 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 84 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 50 reviews, 121 photos, 2 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 31 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 47 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 48 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 40 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sweden Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue