"Welcome to OLHAO" Olhão by Leipzig
Olhão Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 144 photos
The town of Olhão with its 30,000 inhabitants is essentially and historically linked to the local fishing industry. Today the most important factory branch is the canning factory for tuna and sardines. Olhão is well known for the 17 local fishermen who crossed the Atlantic Ocean in 1808 in the fishing boat “Bom Sucesso” without a map to announce their exiled King, Dom João IV, that the French invading armies had been defeated and that it was for the King to return to Portugal.
The red wines of the Algarve tend have a fruity rich flavour, low acidity and containing a high alcohol level. more travel advice
Ria Formosa is formed by the rise in the level of water by progressive filling of the depression by sediments. The force... more travel advice
Leipzig's Related Pages
Olhão Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fish market town"
- "Olhão - largest fishing port in the Algarve"
- "Photos from Olhao"
- "Olhao; one of the last functioning fishermen towns"
- "Welcome to OLHAO"
- "local fishermen village"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Olhão
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Olhão?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olhão
Top 10 Pages
- Leipzig Intro, 113 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 60 reviews, 163 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 84 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 50 reviews, 121 photos, 2 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 31 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 47 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 48 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 40 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sweden Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue