"Welcome to TORGAU" Torgau by Leipzig
Torgau Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 144 photos
Torgau, founded in 973 AD approx. 50 km (30 mi) northeast of Leipzig, is situated on the banks of Elbe River. In 1526 the Protestant princes founded the Torgau League there. In 1530 the articles of the League were written by Luther, Melanchthon, and others, and they served as a basis for part of the Augsburg Confession. In the Thirty Years War, Gustavus II of Sweden and his allies held an important council of war in Torgau in 1631. In 1760, while the Seven Years War, Frederick II of Prussia defeated the Austrians under Daun near the city. Torgau passed in 1815 to Prussia. On Apr. 25, 1945, near the end of World War II, advance elements of the U.S. and Soviet armies made contact for the first time there.
Today, Torgau means narrow streets with picturesque buildings like the 16th-century town hall and the late Gothic Church, a beautiful Renaissance-style castle.
St Marien Church is the oldest building in Torgau. The famous painting "Die vierzehn Nothelfer" by Lucas Cranach the... more travel advice
This monument right next to the castle was erected to remind on the day in April 1945, when Soviet and American troops... more travel advice
Leipzig's Related Pages
Torgau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Torgau - Renaissance and Lutheran Reformation"
- "Welcome to TORGAU"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Torgau
- 9 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Torgau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Torgau
Top 10 Pages
- Leipzig Intro, 113 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 60 reviews, 163 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 84 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 50 reviews, 121 photos, 2 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 31 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 47 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 48 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 40 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sweden Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue