"LUGANO -BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL" Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano by thinking
Lugano Travel Guide: 412 reviews and 1,087 photos
LUGANO, Switzerland --
I needed a cup of good strong coffee . . .and I go to my favorite coffee bar( Il Canape), to enjoy the warm lake breezes -- sweetened by a blend of mimosa, oleander, magnolias, figs, lemons, persimmons, and even palms -- that come wafting through the arcade.
Unlike the rest of Switzerland, the atmosphere here is mainly Mediterranean. Trust me when I say that the Ticino, Switzerland's only Italian-speaking canton, is where the country comes alive. It's Italian lifestyle with Swiss efficiency . . . the best of both worlds.
Lugano is for anyone who wants to be spoiled
with what I value most: peace & privacy.
It's a marvelous walking city dotted with palm trees, flowers, parks, and museums. You can stream across its sun-streaked lake or stroll for hours through gardens that border it, sit high above the lake on the terrace of a restaurant, sip an espresso or cappuccino at an outdoor cafe, or take a funicular to the tops of Monte Bre or Monte San Salvatore.
Ticino gastronomy is greatly influenced by the cuisine of Lombardy, Piemonte, Tuscany, and the Alps. It is pasta, polenta, risotto con funghi, sausages, osso bucco, crusty bread, and formaggini (the local goat cheese topped with coarse black pepper and olive oil). Food shopping is very basic in Switzerland. There is not much that is interesting in stores like Manor, Migros and Coop. My advice is to take the train to Pointe Tressa, Italy and shop there. Everything is better and prices are lower.
My heart has been won by this beautiful, tranquil spot from nature's best garden. For me it is a perfect place to live life. I was very happy to spend some of my time in the treasure city of Lugano.
I do not yet speak much Italian, and the people in this area rarely speak any English. However, I can speak French which they understand.
There is a lot of wealth and banks here.
All that wealth finds an outlet on Via Nassa, the Fifth Avenue of Lugano. It's a cobbled, pedestrian-only street lined with the glittering nameplates of Versace, Gucci, Rolex and Patek Phillipe. Price tags in the windows range from expensive to surely-you-must-be-joking. If you're looking to spend the price of a used Volvo on a wristwatch, you'll have no trouble doing it here.
GLOBAL VAT REFUND
CARDADA IMPIANTI TURISTICI
11 Favorite Restaurants:
Principe Leopoldo International
Ristorante al Portone German/Austrian
Ristorante Santabbondio Mediterranean
Locanda del Boschetto German/Austrian
Grotto dei Pescatori Italian
Osteria Ticinese da Raffaele German/Austrian/Swiss
Motto del Gallo Mediterranean Nearby
La Tinera German/Austrian/Swiss
Movenpick Ristorante Parco Ciani
Ristorante Orologio Italian
Antica Osteria Italian
It is impossible to express how wonderful it feels to be alive in a clean, safe, prosperous jewel like Lugano.
- Pros:Swiss efficiency yet all for you in Italian!
- Cons:Count your change. Small cheating goes on here.
- In a nutshell:Mediterranian climate, acceptable food, lake activities and lots of fun walking
We enjoyed Villa Sassa, but the WI-FI costs 198 CH weekly. It is a rip-off, but we needed it for business. The gym made... more travel advice
Go up the mountain to the top to see this view. more travel advice
- See All Reading the English newspapers
- See All Count your change everywhere
- See All Enjoying the view from every angle
- See All Calling Cards are cheapest here and they...
- See All Coffee House open on Sunday
thinking's Related Pages
Lugano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to my home !"
- "Welcome to sunny Lugano"
- "LUGANO -BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL"
- "Lugano - a day trip to Ticino"
- "Welcome to my hometown, Lugano!"
- "MY BEST VACATION"
- "simply my backyard"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lugano
- Hotels in Lugano
- Transportation in Lugano
- Nightlife in Lugano
- Restaurants in Lugano
- Shopping in Lugano
- Warnings and Dangers in Lugano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lugano
- 51 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 53 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Lugano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lugano
- updated a Lugano Travel Page "LUGANO -BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL"
- Posted in Travel Vienna Forum "Re: Accommodation in Vienna and..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "LUGANO -BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL"
- Wrote a Review WI-FI costs lots 198 CH weekly in Lugano Hotels
- Commented on one of worldtrekker's Lugano travel pages
Photos in LuganoSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 121 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 136 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Basel Intro, 47 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 39 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cape Town Intro, 33 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 43 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Gorbio Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Nice Intro, 5 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues