"LUGANO -BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL" Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano by thinking

Lugano Travel Guide: 394 reviews and 1,046 photos

LUGANO: TRANQUILITY, PEACE and BEAUTY

LUGANO, Switzerland --

I needed a cup of good strong coffee . . .and I go to my favorite coffee bar( Il Canape), to enjoy the warm lake breezes -- sweetened by a blend of mimosa, oleander, magnolias, figs, lemons, persimmons, and even palms -- that come wafting through the arcade.

Unlike the rest of Switzerland, the atmosphere here is mainly Mediterranean. Trust me when I say that the Ticino, Switzerland's only Italian-speaking canton, is where the country comes alive. It's Italian lifestyle with Swiss efficiency . . . the best of both worlds.

Lugano is for anyone who wants to be spoiled
with what I value most: peace & privacy.
It's a marvelous walking city dotted with palm trees, flowers, parks, and museums. You can stream across its sun-streaked lake or stroll for hours through gardens that border it, sit high above the lake on the terrace of a restaurant, sip an espresso or cappuccino at an outdoor cafe, or take a funicular to the tops of Monte Bre or Monte San Salvatore.

Ticino gastronomy is greatly influenced by the cuisine of Lombardy, Piemonte, Tuscany, and the Alps. It is pasta, polenta, risotto con funghi, sausages, osso bucco, crusty bread, and formaggini (the local goat cheese topped with coarse black pepper and olive oil). Food shopping is very basic in Switzerland. There is not much that is interesting in stores like Manor, Migros and Coop. My advice is to take the train to Pointe Tressa, Italy and shop there. Everything is better and prices are lower.

My heart has been won by this beautiful, tranquil spot from nature's best garden. For me it is a perfect place to live life. I was very happy to spend some of my time in the treasure city of Lugano.

Massango-Lugano

I do not yet speak much Italian, and the people in this area rarely speak any English. However, I can speak French which they understand.

There is a lot of wealth and banks here.
All that wealth finds an outlet on Via Nassa, the Fifth Avenue of Lugano. It's a cobbled, pedestrian-only street lined with the glittering nameplates of Versace, Gucci, Rolex and Patek Phillipe. Price tags in the windows range from expensive to surely-you-must-be-joking. If you're looking to spend the price of a used Volvo on a wristwatch, you'll have no trouble doing it here.

Links

Movenpick Ristorante Parco Ciani
Ristorante Orologio Italian
Antica Osteria Italian

Switzerland's Ticino and Lake Lugano's Park

It is impossible to express how wonderful it feels to be alive in a clean, safe, prosperous jewel like Lugano.

• Pros:Swiss efficiency yet all for you in Italian!
  • Cons:Count your change. Small cheating goes on here.
  • In a nutshell:Mediterranian climate, acceptable food, lake activities and lots of fun walking
  • Last visit to Lugano: Sep 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 19, 2010

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2009 at 3:13 AM

Grazie for lovely photos & detail. I cooled off a bit on your tour as I am an Italian-American fritta here in Roma! Ciao, Carol

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2009 at 3:40 AM

After numerous visits to Switz I loved my first visit to the 'Italian part of Switz' last year!!and seeing yr lovely main pic here Im wishing I could be there again now!

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2006 at 3:36 PM

I enjoyed your insider take on this place. The scenery is beautiful and it looks like a great place for a home exchange.

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2006 at 10:07 AM

Great page. Greetings from Poland.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2006 at 2:35 PM

I have to confess I was somewhat surprised at the lack of erudition on your pages. Loved the sentiments though!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 11:53 AM

Oh, what a fascinating place to visit! I think I felt the atmosphere of tranquility and warmth there... It would be an amazing trip over there...

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 3:12 AM

My favorite place, thank you, how I wished to meet you there, but couldn't, still searching for the book you advoced and didn't find yet, I hope all is going great with you my great friend...Bless you

• Reminiscing's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2005 at 3:08 PM

Was in Lugano in 1971 while in service. Loved the area. Stayed with the Rundel Family who had their own salon and hair product line. Almost went AWOL w/ 2 buddies! Thanks for the memories!

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2005 at 2:41 PM

I took a break from my book that takes place in Lugano to look at your wonderful pages and tips. Thanks to you I even found a virtual tour of the Casino in Campione! Grazie!

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 11:11 PM

Happy Birthday to one of the most uniquely interesting people I know. May you be blessed with many more happy birthdays and travels and adventures galore. Fondly, Wayne

thinking Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in Lugano