"Yellow Wine, Comte Cheese, Spas & Sports" Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon by thinking
Besançon Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 178 photos
Three principal communes
With large parks and clean streets, this grey stoned town enclosed in a loop of the River Doubs and surrounded by the hills of the north Jura range is considered one of France's "greenest" cities.
There are few tourists but, with France's largest foreign student population, it is nonetheless a cosmopolitan place.
The cobbled streets of the old town are full of lively bars and places to eat. Since Gallo-Roman times it has been an important stop on the trade routes beween Italy, the Alps and the Rhine. Since the 18th century it has been an important clock making centre and in 1890 was the birthplace of rayon (artificial silk) . It was also the birthplace of novelist Victor Hugo and the film-pioneering Lumière brothers.
France's least-known mountain range, the Jura extends along the Swiss border from Geneva almost to the Rhine valley. Old limestone hills, the Jura peak at about 5000 ft, on the Swiss border; but most of the area consists of a series of high plateaux, getting higher towards the border.
At the southern end, the Jura has a lot of spectacular deep river valleys, and a lot of lakes too. The hills are quite forested, and the villages on the French side of the border are very similar to those on the Swiss side. Franche Comté, which includes the Jura, has the greatest concentration of deciduous forests in Europe.
Ryanair will be starting flights to Dole-Tavaux (Franche Comté Burgundy regional airport, for the Jura region) from September 2006.
- Pros:Beautiful and serene, my type of place!
- Cons:Lots of fatting German food!
- In a nutshell:This is a hidden treasure of France.
The quartz for the watch was discovered here. Visit the museum! more travel advice
thinking's Related Pages
Besançon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hidden treasures of Besançon in Franche-Comté"
- "Pierre_Rouss's Besancon, Franche-Conté and Juras r"
- "Yellow Wine, Comte Cheese, Spas & Sports"
- "Besançon - the capital of Franche Comté"
- "exotique18's new Besancon page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Besançon
- Hotels in Besançon
- Transportation in Besançon
- Nightlife in Besançon
- Restaurants in Besançon
- Warnings and Dangers in Besançon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Besançon
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Besançon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Besançon
Photos in BesançonSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 121 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 136 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Basel Intro, 47 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 39 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cape Town Intro, 33 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 43 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Gorbio Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Nice Intro, 5 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues