"Ciudad Juárez (see also twin city El Paso)" Juárez by ephobius
Juárez Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 22 photos
Ciudad Juárez (Juarez City) is on the northern border, in Chihuahua State. It was originally named Paso del Norte. Later renamed to honour President Benito Juárez (1806 - 1872).
When the French invaded central Mexico (1862), President Juárez went to Paso del Norte to organise the resistence. Some people asked him to cross the border (the river) to El Paso (USA) to be safer. He refused, as that would be like giving up the country to the French. The invaders were finally defeated in 1867. For this, the city acquired his name when he died in 1872. He still is considered the greatest of all our Presidents (he also separated the Church from the State and supported the Federal system).
Here I am standing at the Cathedral in Ciudad Juárez.
ephobius' Related Pages
Juárez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quick trip across the BORDER, no Visa necessary"
- "Cd. Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico"
- "Juárez, Chihuahua, México"
- "Ciudad Juárez (see also twin city El Paso)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Juárez
- Hotels in Juárez
- Transportation in Juárez
- Restaurants in Juárez
- Shopping in Juárez
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Juárez
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Juárez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Juárez
Photos in JuárezSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Mexico Intro, 3 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Querétaro Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cancún Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Durango Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bernal Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Acapulco Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Denver Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Cheyenne Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Torreón Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos