"Distrito Federal" Distrito Federal by ephobius
Distrito Federal Travel Guide: 2,204 reviews and 4,749 photos
The nation's capital, Mexico City, is on this district.
The northern half of the Distrito Federal is completely urbanized, the southern half still has some fields and forested mountains, such as the Ajusco. This mount is a National Park and can be visited for picnics, hiking, biking and climbing.
See more about the city at my Mexico City page.
Mexico, politically, is very similar to the United States. Both countries are comprised by states: 31 in Mexico, 50 in the US. In the same way, the capital is not in a particular state but in a federal district, DF in Mexico, DC in the US. The districts were seceded from a state, State of Mexico in Mexico, State of Maryland in the United States. Both capitals have grown so much urban areas have spread in the neighboring states and engulfed nearby towns.
One big difference between these two districts is representation. In Mexico, the Distrito Federal is represented in the Union Congress by representatives (diputados) and senators. The District of Columbia is not represented in the US Congress.
According to law, if ever is decided to change the capital to another city, then that place will be declared the federal district, and the current district will not get reintegrated to the State of Mexico, but rather will be constituted as the State of the Valley of Mexico.
ephobius' Related Pages
Distrito Federal Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Distrito Federal
- Hotels in Distrito Federal
- Transportation in Distrito Federal
- Nightlife in Distrito Federal
- Restaurants in Distrito Federal
- Shopping in Distrito Federal
- Warnings and Dangers in Distrito Federal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Distrito Federal
- 9 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Distrito Federal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Distrito Federal
Photos in Distrito FederalSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Mexico Intro, 3 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Querétaro Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cancún Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Durango Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bernal Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Acapulco Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Denver Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Cheyenne Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Torreón Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos