"Four days in Pskov and surroundings..." Top 5 Page for this destination Pskov by aliante1981
Pskov Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 57 photos
Pskov, city, capital of Pskov Oblast, northwestern Russia, on the Velikaya River. The city is an important railroad junction and the trade center of a flax-growing region. Manufactures include machinery, linen, and building materials. Notable historic structures include a 13-century kremlin (citadel) and churches dating from the 14th and 15th centuries. Pskov was a dependency of Novgorod from 903 to 1348, when it became the seat of an independent and democratically governed state. An important center for trade and crafts, it was annexed by Moscow in 1510. During World War II the city was occupied (1941-44) by the German army and suffered extensive damage. Then it was restored to its previous state, and further re-ordered recently before its 1100 birthday celebration.
Pskov was first mentioned in historical records in 903, which easily makes the city one of the oldest in Russia. Olga, the first woman ruler of the country is thought to be at the origin of Pskov.
As one of the oldest and most beautiful cities of Russia, Pskov boasts an impressive number of historical monuments – well over 300 of them. The earliest of them go back to the 12th century, as unfortunately nothing is preserved since 10th century. The latest buildings worthy of mention belong to the early 20th century. What you’ll see is a fantastic combination of ancient monuments (fortified walls with towers, churches and monasteries, and merchant's chambers) and modern buildings.
Go to Sokolya (Falcon) Hill to see the monument/memorial to the prince Alexander Nevsky, who is honored in these parts... more travel advice
aliante1981's Related Pages
Pskov Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pskov is 1100 years old"
- "Travel Tips:"
- "Four days in Pskov and surroundings..."
- "Wellcome to a fortress"
- "West Frontier of Russia"
- "under construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pskov
- Hotels in Pskov
- Transportation in Pskov
- Nightlife in Pskov
- Restaurants in Pskov
- Shopping in Pskov
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pskov
- 5 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Pskov?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pskov
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubna Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 38 reviews, 24 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 15 photos
- Geneva Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 22 reviews, 19 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues