"Kairouan: the 4th Holiest Muslim City" Kairouan by aliante1981
Kairouan Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 486 photos
Kairouan: town, north-central Tunisia. The town, one of the holy cities of Islam, lies on the Low Steppes, a semiarid alluvial plain southeast of the Central Tell. Founded in 670 on the site of the Byzantine fortress of Kamouinia, it served as the camp from which the offensive was launched that resulted in the Islamic political and religious subjugation of the Maghrib (northwest Africa). Kairouan was chosen as the capital of the Maghrib by the first Aghlabid ruler in about 800. Subsequently, it served (with Al-Mahidyah) as the political centre through the Fatimid and Zirid dynasties into the 11th century, becoming one of the great administrative, commercial, religious, and intellectual centres of Islam. As a result of Bedouin incursions in the 11th century, the decline of steppe cultivation in favour of nomadic life, and the rise of Tunis as capital, Kairouan declined into an isolated market town for nomads.
Kairouan now trades in grain and livestock that are raised in the surrounding region, and it is an important carpet and handicrafts centre. A road and railway link it with Sousse, 38 miles (61 km) to the east. Kairouan’s rampart-enclosed medina (75 acres [30 hectares]) contains the Great Mosque, with a 115-foot- (35-metre-) high minaret. Originally built by Sidi Okba in the 7th century, the present mosque is the fifth mosque built on the site and dates from Aghlabid times. Outside the town is the zawiyah (seat of a religious fraternity) of Sidi Sahab, containing the tomb of one of the companions of Muhammad, and an Aghlabid reservoir, an open circular pool 420 feet in diameter dating from the 9th century. Pop. (1984) 72,254. This description comes from Britannica 2003
The Medina of Kairouan is the focal point of this Holy City. And it’s also a pretty old one, for the first walls of... more travel advice
aliante1981's Related Pages
Kairouan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tunisia's Religious Centre"
- "Kairouan, the Holy City"
- "A city of mosques but also much more..."
- "KAIROUAN-Sacred city"
- "Kairouan: the 4th Holiest Muslim City"
- "My favourite city, full of culture!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kairouan
- Hotels in Kairouan
- Transportation in Kairouan
- Nightlife in Kairouan
- Restaurants in Kairouan
- Shopping in Kairouan
- Warnings and Dangers in Kairouan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kairouan
- 3 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Kairouan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kairouan
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubna Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 38 reviews, 24 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 15 photos
- Geneva Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 22 reviews, 19 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues