"Dougga: a Roman city" Dougga by aliante1981
Dougga Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 209 photos
Thugga - modern Dougga: the best-preserved ancient Roman city in modern Tunisia, located near modern Tabursuq, west of the ancient road between Carthage and Theveste (modern Tébessa, Algeria). Thugga's most notable pre-Roman ruin is a 2nd-century-BC mausoleum, built in honour of a Numidian prince. A three-storied building topped by a pyramid, the mausoleum contained a bilingual Phoenician and Numidian inscription and represented a fusion of the Egyptian pyramidal funerary building and the Hellenistic Greektemple. It was probably an ancestor of the tower tombs with slender pyramids that were characteristic of Roman Africa.
Thugga was made a municipium (a community with partial rights of Roman citizenship) by the Roman emperor Septimius Severus (reigned AD 193–211), and an arch erected in his honour is one of the outstanding Roman remains. Other important buildings dating to Roman times include a forum, baths, villas, temples, an aqueduct, and a theatre. - This description comes from Britannica 2003
Pros and Cons
- Pros:Amazing ancient monuments - v. well-preserved city!
- Cons:It can get hot and crowded in mid-summer
aliante1981's Related Pages
Dougga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dougga, another World Heritage location"
- "Dougga - A Roman town with a view"
- "Photo Opportunity!"
- "Dougga: a Roman city"
- "Far from big cities, but worth a stop, because..."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dougga
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Dougga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dougga
Photos in DouggaSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubna Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 38 reviews, 24 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 15 photos
- Geneva Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 22 reviews, 19 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues