"An Oasis in the Desert" Gabes by aliante1981
Gabes Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 25 photos
Gabès - Latin Tacapa, town, southeastern Tunisia. The town is located at the mouth of the Gabes River, which has its source 6 miles (10 km) upstream at the Ras al-Oued (springs), the town's main water source. Situated on a Mediterranean oasis along the Gulf of Gabes, Gabes was founded as the Roman trading centre of Tacapa. Declining somewhat under Turkish rule, it experienced a modest revival during the French Protectorate (1881–1955) when a railway, a road network, and a port were constructed. The modern town is still an important oasis and trade centre, with some fishing, fruit growing, and textile milling in the vicinity. Industrial developments include a chemical complex and iron and cement works.
The surrounding area embraces much of semiarid south-central Tunisia. It contains the settlements of Matmata, which is the home of Berber olive growers, el-Hamma, which is a trading centre of the Beni Zid nomads, and several other important oases. Pop. (1984) town, 92,298. This description comes from Britannica 2003
aliante1981's Related Pages
Gabes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The greatest seaside oasis"
- "An Oasis in the Desert"
- "An ancient oasis in decline"
- "city by the sea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gabes
- Hotels in Gabes
- Transportation in Gabes
- Restaurants in Gabes
- Shopping in Gabes
- Warnings and Dangers in Gabes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gabes
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Gabes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gabes
Photos in GabesSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubna Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 38 reviews, 24 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 15 photos
- Geneva Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 22 reviews, 19 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues