"A stop in Gafsa" Gafsa by aliante1981
Gafsa Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 23 photos
I made a short stop in Gafsa, and managed to see some interesting things:))
Gafsa - Latin Capsa, town, west-central Tunisia. The ancient name of the locality is applied to the Mesolithic Capsian industry (here dated about 6250 BC) of the earliest inhabitants. The original Numidian town was destroyed (106 BC) by the Romans; it was rebuilt later by Trajan and was then successively a centre of Byzantine, Arab, Berber, and Ottoman rulers. Qafýah is a noted irrigated fruit-growing oasis and a major shipping centre for phosphates obtained from the salt flats of Shott el-Jerid. It is connected to the port of Sfax by road and rail.
The surrounding area includes many rich phosphate-mining concessions. It is primarily peopled by nomads and cultivators of esparto grass, cereals, dates, and olives. Pop. (1984) town, 60,970. This description comes from Britannica 2003
Travels to places like Tunisia involves a lot of fighting the heat, especially if you, like me (I am still surprised... more travel advice
aliante1981's Related Pages
Gafsa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to Southern Tunisia"
- "A stop in Gafsa"
- "Loads of fresh fruit"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gafsa
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Gafsa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gafsa
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubna Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 38 reviews, 24 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 15 photos
- Geneva Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 22 reviews, 19 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues