"My memories of Semipalatinsk..." Semipalatinsk by aliante1981
Semipalatinsk Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 10 photos
Long time passed since I've been there for te last time, but there's a reason for that...
My relatives lived there and, since they moved, I stopped going there, too...
Now the city has changed even its name, it is called Semei , and not Semipalatinsk anymore
Semey - formerly called Semipalatinsk, city, eastern Kazakstan. It is a port on the Irtysh (Ertis) River where the latter emerges into the West Siberian Plain.
It was founded as a Russian fort in 1718, 11 miles (18 km) downstream from the present site, near the ruins of a Buddhist monastery consisting of seven buildings, from which it got the name Semipalatinsk, meaning “seven-halled.” It was moved to its present site in 1778 to escape regular flooding in the spring. Semipalatinsk lay at the junction of caravan trails from Mongolia to Russia and from Siberia to Central Asia, andbefore the 1917 Revolution more than 11,000 camels passed through annually. The writer Fyodor Dostoyevsky spent the years 1854–59 in Semipalatinsk in exile as a soldier in a line battalion. The city's growth was furthered by the arrival of the railway from Siberia in 1906 and the completion of the Turk-Sib line to Central Asia in 1931. Its name was changed to Semey after Kazakstan's independence in 1991.
The chief economic activities are food processing and other light industries. The city has one of the largest meat-packing plants in Kazakstan, as well as textile, clothing, and footwear factories and a large cement works. There are teacher-training, medical, and veterinary institutes, a theatre, and three museums. The gates of the 18th-century fort survive. Pop. (1995 est.) 320,200. This description comes from Britannica 2003
aliante1981's Related Pages
Semipalatinsk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My memories of Semipalatinsk..."
- "A couple of days in Semipalatinsk late autumn 2006"
- See All...
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Semipalatinsk
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Semipalatinsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Semipalatinsk
Photos in SemipalatinskSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubna Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 38 reviews, 24 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 15 photos
- Geneva Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 22 reviews, 19 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues