"Maria's Travel Diary" aliante1981's Profile
This is one ofthe cards from my collection -- showing Schwarzwald (or Black Forest) in Germany. A
wonderful place indeed, and definitely worth exploring in less hurry than the one I had in July 2002..
I have been away from VT for months now, and I have a lot of catching up to do: piecing together my pages, addind some new ones, etc. Will take some time, though....
-Paris: 37 tips, 35 pictures, and 1 travelogue
-Moscow: 34 tips, 36 pictures, 3 travelogue
-London: 33 tips, 22 pictures
-Dubna: 32 tips, 42 pictures, 4 travelogues
-Rome: 30 tips, 14 pictures
-Tunisia: 27 tips, 27 pictures, 2 travelogues
-Cairo: 26 tips, 5 pictures
-Venice: 24 tips, 13 pictures, and 1 travelogue
-Egypt: 23 tips, 32 pictures, 4 travelogues
-Munich: 23 tips, 1 picture
-Africa: 22 tips, 19 pictures
My real name's Maria and I'm currently working in investment banking in London.
Still Myself, but a Bit More Personal, or My Hobbies:
TRAVELING: I bet you're not surprised! What else I'd be doing here, if it were not so?? Though I prefer going on my own, I sometimes join organized tours
GOLF: have become quite a fan recently, and hope to have some time to really work on my game
POSTCARD COLLECTION: I've started out along this road in 1999 (I believe), and I now have more than 1500 cards from 60+ countries. Wherever I go, I just seem to buy up any lovely postcard I see... It's strange my luggage never makes customs officials here in Russia question my profession. I though they's classify me as an importer of postcards :)) If you wish to see something of it, you can visit my pages here (I'll soon upload cards I have for that place).
PHOTOGRAPHY: I wish I were better at it! However, since I bought a decent camera (CANON 350D is really good!) things are improving on this front as well:)) I also like to redesign pictures with Adobe Photoshop. What you see here (unless it's postcards) are mostly the results of this work. Just can't yet make myself post the pictures I've taken, unless they are retouched :))
COMPUTERS: One of my two pcs (either a desktop or a laptop) always keeps me company:)) I also like web design... I know it can't (hoopefully yet) be noticed from this VT site.
LANGUAGES: Russian, English & Italian fluently -- so you can write me in these languages with confidence:) Also basic German & something of Spanish -- I can understand these as well, and speak some German.
- Russia: Moscow
- France: Paris, Disneyland, Tours, Blois, Chenonceau, Chambord, Amboise, Cheverny, Azay-le-Rideau, Usse, Villandry, and Lille
- Belgium: Brussels
- Switzerland: Geneva
- Greece: Athens, Aegina, Poros, Hydra, Corinth, Mycenae, Epidaurus, Tyrinth, and Nafplio
- Iceland (May '07): Country tour
- United Kingdom (July '07): St. Andrews, Loch Lomond
- France (June '07): Paris, Monet Gardens
- China (July - August '07): Beijing, the Great Wall, Lhasa and Tibet tour
- Austria (New Year '08): Vienna - The New Year Concert
The Books I Love: Tolkien's Works, Bulgakov's 'Master & Margarita', M. Twain's 'Innocents Abroad', Jerome K. Jerome's 'Three Men in a Boat' & 'Three Men on a Bummel', all B. Shaw's & Agatha Christie's works, Rowling's Harry Potter, Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister by Jay & Lynn, P.G. Wodehouse & many many others.
My Fave Music: operas (though I quite hated them while in music school), country, Queen, Beatles, Blackmore's Night, Elton John, -- and others, I just can't name everything here.
My Fave Fashion:
Recently became quite a designer fashion freak - guess it happens to us, gals:))) Pucci, LVMH, Celine, and their likes are always welcome in my closet:))
That is not my own view, but rather the results of a test I completed on one of the sites. I can not remember where that was (else I would certainly tell you!), I just saved the results in a .txt mode. I agree with it, for the most part…
For me a pleasure trip must be free from stress and responsibility as much as possible, hence I tend to choose either all-inclusive, or 4-5 star hotels. This (in the view of the test) does not mean I do not enjoy off the beaten track places, as long as I can find necessary comforts in place. If I hire a guide, he/she is better to know all the details about the place, for I am unlikely to be satisfied with general information only. I like the company of other travelers with whom I tend to become friendly quite soon, and this means I do not grumble about a lot of time spent with them. My ideal destination (once again, according to the test) is Vienna.
- Sightseeing options: knowing myself, it's unlikely I will spend more than a couple of days in a location with very limited sightseeing attraction, or - at the very least - without chance to make some day trips;
- Scenery: an area of natural beauty will always rank highly on my 'must see' travel list;
- Quality accomodation: I've understood some time ago that if I weree to take part in 'Survivor' I would've failed miserably - I doubt I am cut out for huts and hostels. 4*-5* hotels is more like my piece of cake;
Here's the short list of 40 countries (not real short, I guess) I've never been to but have on the top of my 'Must See' list - without commentaries:
Iceland, Portugal, Ireland, Hungary, Croatia, Finland, Bulgaria, Romania, Slovenia, Malta
Japan, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Myanmar, China, Singapore, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Indonesia, Malaysia
USA, Argentina, Mexico, Canada, Chile, Brazil, Peru
South African Republic, Morocco, Kenya
Jordan, Syria, Iran, Lebanon
Australia & Oceania:
New Zealand, Australia
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,379 Reviews
- 972 Photos
- 28 Countries
- 173 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
- aliante1981 and rachel_sun are now friends.
updated their Personal Page "MY QUESTIONS & ANSWERS, OR MORE ABOUT MYSELF"
- created a Saint Andrews Travel Page "The Home of Golf"
- Wrote a Review The Old Course in Saint Andrews Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Old Course"
- Commented on one of EmilianoCV's Mendoza travel pages
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: European Places to See?"
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubna Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 38 reviews, 24 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 15 photos
- Geneva Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 22 reviews, 19 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54962 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23315 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- Philadelphia Hotels
- 2093 Reviews - 4054 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos